« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Disgraced U.S. Olympian

I Didn't Mean to Eat

Those WEED Brownies

8/6/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0806_nick_delpopolo_AP
U.S. judo fighter Nick Delpopolo says he had NO IDEA the baked goods he consumed before the Olympics contained weed. Really, he swears.

Nick was booted from the 2012 Games after failing a drug test ... and now he says he has a perfectly good explanation -- he was tricked into eating pot.

The 23-year-old just released a statement saying his dirty test was "caused by my inadvertent consumption of food that I did not realize had been baked with marijuana."

The International Olympic Committee draws a hard line when it comes to drugs ... they expelled Delpopolo from the games, stripped him of his accreditation, and will change the standings in his event. He had placed 7th in the competition.

In a statement released by the USOC, Delpopolo says, "I apologize to U.S. Olympic Committee, to my teammates, and to my fans, and I am embarrassed by this mistake."

To be fair ... Nick never specified what kind of baked goods he had consumed -- but he looks like a brownie kind of a guy.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

happypat35

I don't believe he would risk everything he worked hard for on some laced up brownies.

parlayer

yea the weed brownies made me faster. not like you stoners who get lathargic.

RD

Bull****!! If you're an Olympic athlete, you have to know what you're putting in your body. Good bye druggie.

R. Cortez

I "mean" to eat brownies, they have no chance once the foil is open.

Joey

BS MARIJUANA HAS A VERY DISTINCT TASTE AND FLAVOR YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A COMPLETE IDIOT OR A LIAR TO DENY KNOWING THAT YOU ATE POT

Jillian

What a dumbass.

happyfeet

Pot brownies dont always taste like pot, if anyone actually did research you would see the amount in his body when he was tested couldnt get anyone high... granted he should have been more careful but mistakes do happen. I hope he continues judo and gets this straightned out

BamaShay

Why would he work so hard to get to the Olympics to give it up over a stupid mistake? No Olympian in their right mind would make a conscious decision to consume what is considered a class A narcotic that isn't even going to help them.

Jillian

The last I heard pot is still illegal.

Jexica

Dude looks like a pot head with the frosted hair and dark bushy eyebrows. Yup, he did it!

jokerchick

I can smell AND taste the weed in brownies - maybe that's just me...drug test aside, only a complete idiot would eat these within 72 hrs of having to do ANYTHING besides sleep...bleh, I discovered that eating weed wasn't for me about 10 yrs ago when I slept for almost 32 hrs

Truth

COCAINE IS HELLUVA DRUG. #TRUTH!!

geincolo

Better baked than boozed. Puff, puff, pass...

Rhonda

I can believe his story. Why would an Olympic athlete, who knows he will be drug tested, deliberately take drugs?

Majestik

Should've used the same excuse our Canadian Gold Medal snowboarder used. He was in a room with people who were smoking it and didn't realize it would show up in his blood (rolls eyes) BTW, he never lost his medal, they accepted the excuse, go figure.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments