'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' Star

I'm RETIRING from Acting

... I Have Parkinson's

8/8/2012 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_bob-hoskins_getty
British acting legend Bob Hoskins -- who played P.I. Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and Smee in "Hook" -- just announced ... he's retiring from acting after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

The 69-year-old actor issued a statement earlier today, claiming he was diagnosed last fall. Hoskins also thanked his fans for their support, saying he had a "wonderful career."

No kidding -- his career spanned roughly 80 movies ... and his work in the British films "The Long Good Friday" and "Mona Lisa" earned him a Cannes Award, a Golden Globe for Best Actor, several BAFTA Awards, and an Academy Award nomination.

Then again ... Hoskins also starred in the 1993 live action "Super Mario Bros."

Nobody's perfect.

Tracker

test

Bloomcounty.USA

That is quite sad, and a tough disease to have ... especially if you're in the public eye. Wish him and his family well, he's a very good actor.

Diamond

Love to watch Bob Hoskins. Take care of yourself. Thanks for the entertainment.

HAIRSY

I LOVED HIM IN MERMAIDS.

Raejean

I'm sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed his films. Did you know he has a circus/carnival acrobat background? That was actually him doing the handsprings and flips in "Roger Rabbit." Which kind of makes the Parkinson's diagnosis even sadder.

Cricket

Love you Bob. Thank you for all the entertainment. Best wishes to him and his family.

Kaptainess

Wish you all the happiness that it carries you thur the dark days. Live and enjoy as much as you can for now. You are admired by so many. May God be with you and your family.

Neo

You are classless TMZ this is a great actor who isnt retiring sadly and u play the trailer of a movie he calls his worst.. What *******s u are

bebe

Brilliant actor - so many great roles..the best being a London gangster in the amazing film The Long Good Friday. The final scene is chillingly good..
My very best wishes to him in beating this disease.

Dan

**** you tmz staff for insulting this guy with the super mario pun.

Mindy

You will be missed BOB Hoskins!! You have always been a favorite of mine. Have fun with every single day. I wish you the very very best.

Charles Ramada

Hello Bob,
Retiring too early lad! I think you've got one more in you, and I've got just the part for you. The part of Ozzie in "A Dozen of One",a true story published by Infinity, no one is more perfect for the part than you, you fit the bill 100%. Get the book, looking forward to hear from you soon. PS. I also in am a Parky.

Toni Bruce

In 1980, at the age of 43, I was mugged and suffered a subdural hematoma. I was "walked" to the nearest Hospital Emergency Room where I lapsed into unconciousness. The emergency room surgeon drained the pressure and saved my life. I was subsequently an inpatient at Rusk Institute in New York City where Physical Therapy enabled me to return to work part-time in six months & full-time in 9 months. I developed a tremor in my left hand, a "shufflling gait" in my left foot and pronounced "limp" in my left leg (which I was told was "brain damage" from the mugging). I was referred to a neurologist who told me I had "Parkinson's Syndrome" (at that time they thought it was "non-progressive" and had occurred as a result of the brain trauma).' To make a long story longer, I realize how fortunate I was to be an optimist and in a state of denial since I continued to work until I was 70 (I'm now 75).

cdub

He's a great actor and a great man. Sorry to hear it and hope him well. Mario Bros. the movie was an awesome experience in my childhood, which goes well with Hook and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Thank you for a fun childhood Mr. Hoskins.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4