Joan Rivers

Marketing Genius

8/8/2012 12:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0808_joan_rivers_costco
Joan Rivers
is the MASTER of the shameless publicity stunt ... 'cause her Costco shopping-cart protest didn't just get her all over TV ... it also provided an INSTANT boost to her book sales.

We broke the story ... cops responded to the Costco in Burbank yesterday -- where Joan had handcuffed herself to a shopping cart to protest the store for not carrying her book.

During the protest, sources tell us Joan and her team managed to sell 150 copies to various customers. Since Costco refused to carry  the book, Joan was forced to sell them out of a box she kept in the Costco parking lot.  Cash only.

And Joan got a big, fat bonus -- multiple national media outlets ... including "Today" and "Fox News" ... LOVED the story and have already aired the TMZ video of Joan's hilarious encounter with police.

Bottom line ... Joan's stupid little stunt resulted in MAJOR exposure to millions of people ... and it didn't cost her a dime.

Not a bad day's work.

080712_rivers_launch

Mikey

So Joane Rivers had been reduced to selling books outta the back of her van. She's living in bag lady world.

DaveT

Come to think of it, I haven't handcuffed myself to a random stranger's shopping cart in a long time...

myopinion

I wish I had known she was at Burbank Costco I would have been there 10 minutes away...oh Joan maybe next time.

CLOSE THE DOOR

Visit

www.myfoursistersoutlet.com

barnyardhumor

Yep, she's right up there with that pig Kris J enner.

Liz

It didn't cost her a dime, but it cost the city for the police to respond to a publicity stunt. She should at least pay for that.

janet

Joan Rivers who is jewish, Costco simply is not wasting shelf space notthing to do with cencorship How come it's ok for Rivers and when Mel Gibson drunk mouthed off he's an anti-semite?.

Joan Rivers, has had so much plastic surgery, her face is still frozen.

DEBBIE

again, a celebrity getting away with whatever they want. She had no business license. So a solitation arrest should have been done. That was Costo private property. Love you Joan, but you are wrong in this case.

Uh

She sure knows how to control TMZ. By the way Joan, you forgot your face again.

the crazy betty

what a loser.... she is like one of those people on the side of the road with a sign asking for money. she must really need some $$$ and is getting desperate to make such an ASS out of herself.

guy

I thought she was a bottle of glue already!

BB not bb

I find it hard to believe that she sold 150 books in the parking lot and got cash and full price for all of them. I wouldnt think in that short of a time that that many fans would be going by. Costco people are looking for bargains, probably cheapskates. Why would they go and buy some expensive book in a parking lot? She got exposure but she better hope that Costco doesn't try to sue her for using them for publicity when they didn't want her book there.

People think that talking dirty is funny but to me, that is low class, maybe lower than being a poker player. If she just makes dirty jokes and talks dirty throughout her book, I 'll pass on it, even for free.

Grace

Does anyone know which Costco Joan went to?

South Beach

Brilliant! I love this chick!

tiredofwhiners

sorry, all you haters. Joan Rivers has done more for women in show business than anyone else. It'd be different if she denied having work done like other women in hollywood and took herself seriously, but she does admit it and is always the first to make fun of herself. I love her and while I've at times gotten annoyed at things she's done, I'll always love her.