Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

Annette

Well I understand why people are freaking... No one wants to hear that they might have contributed towards their kid's addiction. But you know what? I have been involved in volunteer counseling / helping addicts for many years. In most cases, the parents don't have the best parenting skills.

If we could be more honest about this, we'd probably be able to save more drug addicts. It doesn't help to pretend that the parents are not partly to blame.

LDB

What right does she have to judge when she's an alcoholic?

Jody

I can't stand Kathie Lee and do not want to take up for her, but in a way she does have a small point. Parents are huge influences on their children. If you teach them right, teach by example and raise them to know right from wrong, then they do have a better chance of staying off drugs.

However, once they are out of your home, you no longer have control over what they do.

sidithers

Now this moron's kids will now be stalked by every rag mag and rag websites

Amber

She's an idiot, she's proved it over and over again! Go have another bottle of whine lady, no one wants to hear what you have to say!

ShrinkWrap

This coming from the bitch who downs a box of wine every morning before the show.

Ms anthony

I must be missing something as I did not see where she said parents of addicts were failures. I see where someone is trying to start up some hype but havent read the article yet to see what family circle was asking her, so I really doubt thats what she is saying as she has alot of friends that have had there kids in that kind of trouble.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Oh, come on, people. I can't stand Kathy Lee, and I don't think her judgement of her own parenting has anything to so with anybody else. If she had said, "well, my kids haven't murdered anybody, so I must be doing something right" would the parents of murderers be getting all butt hurt? Everything is not about you. If she apologies, somebody better punch her in the face.

Buckaroobonzai

so, if I say, "I make a lot of money so I must be doing something right.", does that mean that anyone not making a lot of money is doing something wrong? she is being crucified over a common expression meant to give herself kudos, not to disparage others. Ofcourse, the media knows this, but they get off on these stories. At some point, Americans are going to need to take a stand to end the media's slanderous behavior.

ST94

Her kids may not be addicts, but I think it's pretty obvious Kathy's got an alcohol problem. The f*cking lush is drunk every morning on the Today Show. Have another drink Kathy and STFU.

Phishie from Philly

She's a drunk! I guess her kids are failures too then. Does she even have kids or is she to drunk to remember.

Tbible

She is a drug addict look at her everyday drinking on air. Not only that you should not throws stones cause one will come back and hit you right in the face.

Lauri

I think there are two sides. A bad parent is likely to push a kid into a bad lifestyle and a good parent can have a kid who chooses on their own to have a bad lifestyle. A kid with good parenting is less likely to make poor choices but it doesn't prevent it entirely. Parents can't totally absolve themselves of responsibility by telling themselves they have NO influence on their children's lives. Only if they did everything possible can they say it's not partially their fault.

R. Cortez

To saying by mentioning her kids aren't drug addicts means other parents are failures, is a complete reach to far. Find a more deserving target, Kathy Lee got hers years ago, leave her alone.

Maileeann

She has a habit of inserting her feet in her big fat ignorant mouth. The woman has no clue what she's talking about by blaming parents of addicts. It's a disease you moron! So Kathy, you must be a rotten wife then since your ever lovin Frank screwed around. It's your fault right? Since you're blaming parents for their childrens disease maybe you should blame spouses for their h/w cheating. I don't believe that but being married to her must be exhausting.