Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

Ann

How are these comments note worthy. Since when does a woman who has a kid that hasn't been in trouble a bad thing. And lets face it, while many parents with troubled kids might not be horrible human beings there has to be a misstep somewhere for their kids to fall into that type of trouble. Something as simple as not setting boundaries or not allowing their child to take responsibility for minor things can lead to big missteps. I for one support Kathie Lee in this.

Sands

Kathie Lee was raised better than that. She was taught to think before she speaks. Obviously she needs a refresher course! Once upon a time she was a lovely "lady".

Tamara Wolf

I lost one of my beautiful identical twin sons; Alex, at the age of 23. His autopsy showed that he had a theraputic dose of a prescription pain reliever in his system, no alcohol! He had borrowed it or taken it not knowing that with his own doctor prescribed anti-anxiety drug, also in his system, could cause a toxic reaction, slowing his respiratory system, causing his lungs to fill with fluid. He was a college student, like his brother; and a volunteer at an animal shelter. He loved being a brother, son, friend, and uncle. His risk factor for substance use was a daily struggle with depression and anxiety. For him the struggle was getting very old and difficult. He just wanted to feel normal and comfortable in his own skin. We raised three successful children, all loving, respectful and kind. Children make mistakes.

mallie

Kathy Lee Gifford is a sleazy, loud mouthed witch. She is constantly having hoof and mouth disease by constantly running her mouth when she should keep it zipped. She will do anything for attention. I try to not watch anything she is on and quit watching Regis when he got that fool on with him.

rich

Not a Kathy Gifford fan, in fact just the opposite, so when I saw this article I thought another foot in mouth case that she is so prone to do, but her statement not far from the truth, a lot of parents are not involved in their kids life as they should be, but with that being said not even the best of parenting can prevent children from going astray or worse. so verdict is ....... one hoof in mouth

jeca

Usually I think Kathie Lee is a dumb ass (ie martin short comment). But Im not going to jump on the band wagon just yet. What she is quoted in saying in this article doesn't exactly state what she is being accused of. She said SHE must be doing something right. That's it!

Jerry Brienza

When your husband is caught trying to butt-f--k another women in a hotel room......that makes YOU a failure at being a wife!!!!!!!

DaveT

Kathie didn't imply anything, and she was humble and said she's not a perfect mom.
Most of the people who are "offended" and blogging about it are...crappy parents who know they screwed up their kids and want to scapegoat Kathie.
Sometimes parents are good parents but their kids end up on drugs anyway, but that's *very* rare.
Most of the time, kids end up on drugs because their parents are one or more of the following:
1) abusive
2) neglectful
3) invalidating

GabriellaDieleLock

My grandma was an amazing human being, her parenting skills had nothing to do with her children having drug and alcohol addictions. Everybody has choices on whether they want to do things like that, parents can't make those for you.

Donna

substance abuse is NOT a disease, its just an excuse for the addicted person-I'm addicted to chocolate, is that a disease?-bull! They lacked something they weren't getting at home, fatherless, motherless, neglected in some way or abused and drugs dull the pain-bottom line!

AuntMargie

I thought my daughter was on the right path; nobody in our family drank or took drugs, I never smoked and when she saw my Dad smoking when she was small she would tell him "Dampoo, don't smoke. It makes you sick in your bones." Nicotine is said to be harder than drugs to give up, and at 47 she is desperate to give up cigarettes and can't do it. She started as a teen and I didn't know she smoked until she was in her twenties. SHE CAN'T EXPLAIN HOW IT HAPPENED. My heart goes out to all the good parents who are as baffled as she is, who never saw it coming with their own kids.

Joellen Hall

I raised two boys. One is the epitome is a great guy, good father and husband, hard working and honest, and good to his mom. The other ruined his life on drugs. They ate the same food, lived under the same roof, and were both loved completely. As a single mom, I know I did my very best, but have spent many years trying to figure out what I could have done differently. To Kathy I can only say, be very careful what you accuse others of. Karma is an eye opener. You should just be grateful for your good fortune to date, and pray it doesn't change, that is, if you pray.

Ron Grover

Dear Ms. Gifford,

I have been reading all of the stuff from parents of addicts concerning your comments about being a good parent.

I'd just like you to know that I am a parent of an addict that has been in several rehabs but today he is over 2 years clear and sober. I completely understand you comment and am not here to bash you. I know the context of a comment like that, I've made the same type of comment in reverse in jest. I have three children, one with a Masters Degree in nursing, one a wonderful mother and the youngest a heroin addict in recovery. I still think I am an OK parent.

Hopefully you can take this experience and help everyone. If you'd like to talk about it I love to help. Parenting is so hard as you know from being a mother yourself. I sincerely hope nothing like addiction ever enters your family and life because it is so hard.

In fact, before you ever made your comment I had written an essay on this very subject on my blog, "An Addict In Our Son's Bedroom". A friend had posted something about, "great kids come from great parents". If you would like you can read about what I wrote concerning that type of statement and the personal hurt it has for many people. http://parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com/2012/07/kids-and-parents.html

I ask, please take this opportunity to use your influence and stage to help us all with this problem of addicted children. Like I said before I would be happy to talk with you if you want a first hand experience. Our experience so far is good now but so many parents lost their child to this monster.

Sincerely,
Ron Grover

Leila

Wow - what a snob! She claims to be a Christian, but you couldn't tell from her self-righteous attitude.

Robert

I don't think that her statement was intended to diss anyone, maybe some of us are looking at it too deeply.

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments