'Batman' Shooter's Lawyers

Our Client Is INSANE

8/9/2012 2:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0809-james-holmes-getty-article-2
Lawyers for James Holmes just stated in open court -- they believe their client suffers from a mental illness ... and they need more time to figure out what's wrong with him before entering a plea.

Holmes' attorneys made the announcement during a hearing today, in which several news outlets had assembled to argue that the judge in the case should unseal court documents that could reveal important details about the July shooting in Aurora, CO.

Both the prosecution and the defense wish to keep the documents under wraps while the case is pending.

While everyone was in court, Holmes' attorney also appealed to the judge on an unrelated note -- demanding prosecutors and investigators turn over ALL documents related to the case ... in order to help the defense team determine just how crazy their client is.

The lawyer said, "We cannot begin to assess the nature and the depth of Mr. Holmes' mental illness until we receive full disclosure of all the documents."

It's the first mention of Holmes' intent to pursue an insanity defense.

Adam

mentally ill my ass, he killed 12, wounded 58, bobby trapped his home and had it all planned months in advance how many crazies manage to plan a crime that well.

Bitch Pudding

Wow! No one saw that coming!

renee

FAKER!! FAKER! FAKER!

branflake

His hair is back to brown per the last court appearance reports. What I don't understand is that he and I have the same natural hair color and to color my head like that, I'd have had to bleach my hair then dye it. I tried massive cans of that spray one Halloween, and it did absolutely nothing but left a slight tint of red in my hair. I asked my stylist who said to get hair like that, he would have had to bleach his head (which is why blonde peeks through). So how did his hair miraculously go back to brown? They didn't dye it back.

This is one confusing case to me from a lot of sides. I saw on the Denver Post website the diagram of the movie theater post shooting and there were no bloody footprints going to his car, they were all along the building towards where the highway is, where they found a gas mask. There's something fishy going on, not saying he's not guilty, but there's a lot more to the story than we know to judge.

Virtual Insanity

Plenty of people live with mental illness. Most don't kill. An insanity plea is simply a tactic to avoid the death penalty. I think the fact that he was padded all over his body should throw out any question that he knew what he was doing and was aware of the consequences.

TONYA

ECCENTRIC ISNT INSANE!! JUST BECUASE HE LIVED AN ECCENTRIC LIFESTYLE DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU OR I DOESNT MEAN HES INSANE.. QUIT THE BULLSH*T AND PUT HIM AWAY ALREADY!

texguy63

So? Put him in front of a firing squad! One bullet at a time to different arts of the body.

TJ

The guillotine would work. Quit coddling the criminals! No deterrents in place.We, as taxpayers,
should not have to pay for their room & board,nor
do we want to.

mannequin

Crazier than a sh** house rat but it's time to poison the rat.

TJ

Brain tumor?

Toilethead

No poop? I never would have guessed.

Sabrina

The man in NOT insane. He is just pure evil. There are plenty of mentally ill persons and they do not heavily arm themselves and massacre a crowd of people, nor do they elaborately booby trap their apartment. He knew what he was doing the whole time with sound mind. The orange hair and crazy eyes in the courtroom were only an act. May he burn in hell.

misty

I don't believe he is crazy, I believe he studied crazy behavior in college was working on a PHD in fact. this happening during a time of gun laws and marshal law talk perhaps, how does one gain access to such weapons? who knows if he acted alone or if this is the work of a high "power" of government. all I know is the James should be giving the death penalty. maybe if we had stricter laws for these type of people sick or not, we would not be having these types of issues, heck some even make these people rich by buying their books and watching them on tv. if we know someone is 100 percent at fault for something such as this, he should have been killed that same day

TJ

Casey Anthony- walked away.

South Beach

Well DUH, but he know the difference between right and wrong, and that's the line.

Poor attorneys, what else have they got? Nada.