« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Star

I Just Got FIRED Over

Kobe Rape Joke

8/10/2012 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0730-wrestler-kobe-bryant-wwe-article-1
WWE star Abraham Washington has just been FIRED after making a Kobe Bryant rape joke on live television last week -- and he's PISSED ... claiming the WWE has "turned its back" on him.

As we previously reported, the WWE issued an apology for its July 30 live broadcast of "Monday Night Raw" -- during which Washington took the mic and said a wrestler named Titus O'Neil was "like Kobe Bryant at a hotel in Colorado ... he's unstoppable."

Now, according to Washington, the WWE has taken further action after the joke, terminating his contract entirely.

Obviously, Washington is NOT happy -- taking to his Twitter moments ago with a barrage of angry messages ... like, "It was the #WWE that made me bold and now it has turned it's back on me."

"Just be normal shut up and be a yes man so you can collect your check and feel like your special. #SELLOUTS!!"

"I remember a time when the WWE didn't care about breaking the mold but now everyone is so afraid of their own shadow. #RemeberTheFans"

"Thank you WWE for creating me and then killing me because I only portrayed what I grew up watching... The #WWE!!"

A rep for the WWE tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately, Brian Jossie, playing the character of A.W. was terminated because he continued to exhibit poor judgment by making offensive and inappropriate comments on live television and on social media."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

verlinda

Watch the WWE ( at that time WWF ) with my Son back in the late 80's. After awhile it became so slutty I stop. The Rock was eating Potang Pie, the Women outfits to revealing. Everything was in a Sex drive, not appropriate for young children. A big stink, low ratings and backlash from the Media, they toned it down a little. As said before, what about David Letterman, or Jay Leno, or any comedian that makes jokes of the events of the day?

Torico

He was getting publicity, isn't that what they wanted.

remy

kobe was acquitted cause the girl turned out to be a nut

Nicoleasm

It's not PC b/c the girl still claims she was raped, and to make a reference to it being a good thing by being "unstoppable" could sound distasteful to victims of rape. I don't think they cared much about hurting Kobe's image but more about not being in the middle of a controversy with bad publicity

Michelle

That was joking. He was just stating the truth. Kobe sexually assaulted this girl. Fire me.

God-Of-Lyf

The current WWE is not what it was back in the 90's

Nobody has any freedom of choice or expression anymore. Everybody is afraid of hurting someone else's feelings. Society as a whole has finally found their long lost vagina. R.I.P. Raw Is War you are sadly missed!!!

Ant

This must have happened recently. Just saw him on Cable TV on Smackdown. Unless his contract has voided after corporate hours, I found it a joke. Some kids don't understand a contract but us adults find it as a lie. Rape is a RATINGS DISEASE, and any joke that becomes of gaining from it will destroy everyone that it "Offends". Make it a Joke and WWE is just as bad as slapping the families that deal with rape, assaulte, and will forever take over their lives with medical bills to doctors, emotion support when they are feeling scared, and to re-enter society. I don't see a wrestler making jokes about Nazis, Slavery, Adultry, Abortion or other rapes. Taping or not, to kill him off should have been justified as "YOU'RE FIRED" as what the WWE Corporate Office should have presented to the cable suppliers.

jase

Bs, and I just started watching again to see this guy. I I guess I won't be watching again, I can't wait so the stock to the one back so I can dump my shares with less of a loss. I'm done with the wwe soon as I can sell my shares. I'm discussed with the best company wasting money and subjugating the programming to Linda's failure of a political career.

Deco

WWE ...... never heard of it

jase

Randy Scouse Git

WWE has been firing wrestlers for many years because of things they said. He should already know that. Everyone knows the politics of the WWE. By the way Abraham, Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sunset

F*ck Kobe Bryant and give this man his job back. It sounds as if he was the only entertaining part of WWE anyway.

LadyN

Utterly ridiculous to fire this guy over that joke. WWE is so terrified of the stock holders and of their precious PG rating that they will cut anyone - unless that person is making them a ton of money in the top tier. Randy Orton not only said much worse, did much worse (behind the scenes and in front of the fans) and failed drug test after drug test but there he is, not even jobbing but winning against major stars. If those words came out of The Rock's/Triple H's/Cena's/even Punk's mouth, you can bet that there would be NO ramifications at all. WWE should have ONE set of rules that apply to ALL.

Rob

Plain and simple, he was fired for mentioning Linda McMahon's campaign on twitter. WWE doesn't want any mention of the campaign from any of their talents. AW wasn't going to be fired until he commented on Linda. It was a positive comment but he was still fired for it. Other talents have made worst jokes than the Kobe joke from AW. TMZ, you can and should report on that.

By the way, some other talents are frustrated with WWE right now and don't yet want to speak out for fear of being fired. Look more into this and see how far the rabbit hole goes with this one.

jeff

well it is hypocritical and kinda racist Chris Jericho causes a international incident when he desecrated a Brazilian flag in Brazil and was almost arrested on the spot only get 30 days when through the history of the wwe race always plays a factor with everything

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments