Al Roker

Did You Just

Call Out Matt Lauer??

8/16/2012 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

081612_roker_today_v2Things just got awkward on live TV ... with Al Roker seemingly calling out Matt Lauer for railroading Ann Curry off of the "Today" show.

Here's what happened -- Al, Matt and Savannah Guthrie were hanging with some Olympic rowers who were talking about some of their post-race traditions ... which includes flinging one of their teammates into the water.

Matt joked... "The tradition here in NY is you throw her in the Hudson River."

That's when Roker quickly chimed in ... "Which is different than OUR tradition ... which is you throw one of us under the bus, but that’s another story."

Cue some awkward laughter from Matt and Savannah.

As we previously reported, Ann believes Matt trashed her behind the scenes of the show ... and pressured NBC to fire her ass because he couldn't stand working with her.   And, as we reported, part of Matt's deal in re-signing with Today was that Ann had to hit the road.

Sources tell us Ann was cool with Al ... and respected him ... and after the comment he made on the show, it seems the feeling is mutual.

skywhite244

Be careful Al.. Lauer might get you fired just like he did before..

Lynn

Or, you could look at it another way...maybe Al was referring to Ann throwing Matt under the bus by blaming him for her demise on the show!

DirtySouth

Good for Al. If Matt finds a way to get rid of him (which would be dumb on his part), the success of the show will fall completely on his shoulders. He has already reduced himself to covering TMZ type stories and no really hard news. That would be OK but there's already TMZ on TV.

CC

Sometimes fact is more entertaining than fiction. Tell it like it is Al......

Pam

Almost everyone here feels about the same concerning Matt, My question is, why in the world is the network paying this guy UNBELIEVABLE MONEY?

bman99

Al Roker, I tip my hat to you. That was awesome!

Paula

I watched the Today show for many years, but after Ann Curry's, shall I say rather abrupt departure... I'm no longer I interested in watching the Today Show or Matt Laurer for that matter.

Michelle

Matt is a dick. Ann is an awesome reporter. Go Al!

B

Matt Lauer, you've just been served.

a long time Leno fan!

#1 AMBER

Ditto!

sakiqueen

I stopped watching the show because of that.. Good for you Al! !!! CHEERS

For Sooth?

Let's just cut to the chase and call him Matt Lower from now on, as in lower than a dog in heat. He is such a little guy I would characterize him as a chihuahua. Go piss on a hydrant Matt, if you can reach.h

Lily

Whether what Al Roker says is correct or not, that wasn't a smart thing to do if he likes his job. Roker can be a real jerk too, he recently was on a plane in the middle seat and a couple, on their honeymoon, nicely asked if he would mind moving over one seat either way so they could sit together because ithey were on their honeymoon. He said no. He's a douche too. I used to really like him but dont' watch him anymore, he's a jerk.

kjh

SWEET!! Krama is going to bite Matt in the ass. Thanks Al for not giving a crap ,U see it as it is, i wish we all had such job security..

Roni Mist

Good for Al, I was a big fan of the show and watched it exclusively but after this i quit. It was a shame what was done to Ann. I am sorry but Savannah brings nothing to the show...there is no chemistry, seems very staged and Matt....be careful for what you wish for.....On the other hand, love love Robin Meade...she is my morning gal, great personality, peppy and refreshing!!!!!

Best of luck to Ann Curry, she is a class act!