Al Roker

Did You Just

Call Out Matt Lauer??

8/16/2012 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

081612_roker_today_v2Things just got awkward on live TV ... with Al Roker seemingly calling out Matt Lauer for railroading Ann Curry off of the "Today" show.

Here's what happened -- Al, Matt and Savannah Guthrie were hanging with some Olympic rowers who were talking about some of their post-race traditions ... which includes flinging one of their teammates into the water.

Matt joked... "The tradition here in NY is you throw her in the Hudson River."

That's when Roker quickly chimed in ... "Which is different than OUR tradition ... which is you throw one of us under the bus, but that’s another story."

Cue some awkward laughter from Matt and Savannah.

As we previously reported, Ann believes Matt trashed her behind the scenes of the show ... and pressured NBC to fire her ass because he couldn't stand working with her.   And, as we reported, part of Matt's deal in re-signing with Today was that Ann had to hit the road.

Sources tell us Ann was cool with Al ... and respected him ... and after the comment he made on the show, it seems the feeling is mutual.

gibbs

Well done Mr. Roker

AmandaKay

I would say this is just Al cracking jokes like he usually does but after watching it once and feeling bit like I was watching a secret I didn't get I thought about it and yeah I think Al Roker just took a swing through laughter at Matt. I didn't think Ann Curry got a fair deal being just dumped off the show. I used to DVR and watch Today religiously as part of my morning ritual. Now I do not watch it at all NBC is blocked on my dish box because of what NBC did to the Olympics. I also thought the Today Olympic coverage the two days I watched it was awful. They lost a loyal viewer who hadn't missed an episode since the day I got a DVR in 2005. There loss I hope they go bakrupt. Rip him again AL ROKER!

Googie

I ♡ Al for that. I won't turn to NBC Today's Show as long as Matt (the louse) Lauer is host. Heard that NBC was so callous to force Ann to appear with Lauer during the Olympics. Lauer was cruel to sit next to Ann, like rubbing salt into the wound.

Wow ...

Love some Al Roker. Telling it like it is!

bagladey

Al better watch HIS back now.

backfire

Is it smart to thrown someone in a River with all the bacteria I've been reading about that eats skin?

kitnplayn

Actually, he didn't "quickly" chime in. It took him quite awhile to say it, even after Matt Lauer said thank you to the girls in the story. It seems like he was trying to decide whether or not to actually say it out loud. Very unprofessional broadcasters. Snide, bytchy and arrogant, like most Americans.

VICKY

SO GLAD AL ROKER SPOKE UP! MATT LAUER IS THE CANCER ON TODAY SHOW. TOO MUCH $ AND POWER..HE IS ALLOWED TO HAVE AFFAIR WITH NATALIE MORALES WITHOUT REPRIMAND. NOW TODAY SHOW WILL PROBABLY BE FORCED TO CAN ROKER. QUESTION TO NBC...WHAT POWER DOES MATT LAUER HAVE OVER THE NETWORK?

SarahBeebee

I wonder if Al roker would be fired next! lol

Trish

I stopped watching the Today Show after the way Ann Curry was treated. BTW, Lauer is not worth the 20 plus million contract he got with NBC. He is a joke and he was obviously jealous of Ann's natural and not fake style.

AZTil

Hell Yeah AL!! =P Gotta get rid of the dbags Lauer and Secrest!

judi

ooooooh thats funny I bet Al got a tongue lashing after that!!! LOL

Toni

That was awesome!!

Pandaemonium

Matt has been unwatchable since Couric left the show. He's cold-shouldered every single one of his co-anchors since!

I remember his first day with Vieira and when she put her hand over his, he ripped it away live on camera. You could see the tension and he was uncomfortable..

Guthrie on the other hand.. He likes her for now but if her star outshines his, he will turn on her too.

I believe that the Roker comment is authentic and yes, Matt will throw people under the bus to further his own career.

LDB