« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gabby Douglas

College Kid Took My Nickname

8/18/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0815_gabby_douglas_getty
If Gabby Douglas wants to cash in on her "Flying Squirrel" nickname ... she's gonna have to battle a college kid who locked up the trademark while Gabby was still competing in the Olympics.

TMZ has learned ... Fordham University business student A.J. Rotonde filed to trademark the phrase on August 6 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office for a mere $325.

Rotonde tells us he decided to scoop up Gabby's handle after watching her destroy the competition in London.

A.J. has NO connection to Gabby or U.S. gymnastics, but tells us he plans to slap "Flying Squirrel" on T-shirts and other merchandise -- but before he cashes in the USPTO has to approve his application ... which could take several months.

Gabby can still challenge A.J.'s filing and apply to trademark the phrase herself.

A.J. tells us he'd be happy to sell the TM back to the gymnast ... for the right price, of course.

We called Gabby's camp to see if she's going to go for the block -- but so far, no response.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jordan

The guy did not have to train for 4 years did not have to make the trip to the olympics and he is going to make millions trade marking a name I LOVE THIS COUNTRY.

Really People?

I hope she gets it and not him. What a pos

TW

This Bitch...

Jordan

Welcome to business Gabby Now it is time to play with the big dogs.

DirtySouth

Wait til he sees how worthless the nickname is because of its racist connotations.

Julie

What a prick. He's a dirtbag for stealing that right out from under her. Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you should. I hope Karma has a nasty treat in store for him.

TMZ Superfan

WHAT A ********ED, DOUCHEBAG MOVE!!! If I were her I'd DEFINATELY challenge this in court.

Keyser Söze

Wow.... That A.J. kid is a complete douchebag.... but good for him!

Hey, if you see an opportunity to make easy money, you should just go for it... regardless if that opportunity came up because of the hard work and previous success of someone else.

So, as I said: douching, opportunistic, yet clever.

namers

What Would Bullwinkle Do?

Quinn

A.J. Rotonde is a douche. I think I'm going to trademark that phrase and get a whole bunch of t-shirts made up. - Gabby should challenge it and not give this loser a dime.

Faye

Wow. What an ass. I wouldn't buy one of his t-shirts if you paid me to just because he's a jerk.

SAWolf

Flying squirrel??? That would be Rocky.

CBA7790

He's such an ass

aandradepm

He might sell to the right amount of money. Why are people so sure that this nick name on merchandise will make millions? I really don't really give a crap and on top of that aren't all we in economic crises? The college kid can keep dreaming is not going to happen.

South Beach

This is pretty common, so is buying domain names.

Supply and demand people, it's what makes the world go 'round.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments