Joe Francis

$20 MILLION LOSER

In Steve Wynn Lawsuit

9/10/2012 12:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0910_joe_francis_steve_wynn_article_tmz
Joe Francis
just got hammered by a jury in Steve Wynn's defamation lawsuit -- the jury socked him with a $20 million verdict.

If you recall ... Wynn was suing Francis for defamation, claiming the "Girls Gone Wild" guru made bogus claims that Wynn threatened to have him killed and buried in the desert over a gambling debt.

The judge nailed Francis to the tune of $5 mil for statements made to a TMZ producer in a courtroom hallway ... talking smack on Wynn.

The jury added $11 mil for defamatory statements Francis made on "Good Morning America."

All tolled, the verdict is for $20 mil.

The jury will now decide if Francis gets hit with punitive damages .. and that could be an additional $60 mil.

Francis is worth a reported $150 million.

Francis tells TMZ he believes the judge made 2 reversible and appealable errors -- one of which was allowing Wynn to add the 'GMA' claim at the end of the trial.  Francis also believes some of the statements that allegedly constitute defamation were made in a court proceeding where Francis was seeking a restraining order against Wynn and were therefore privileged.

CFO MANIA

Joe is definitely not worth 150mil. more like -15million with about another 25 cases pending against him. Totally charming among friends and a complete lunatic in business. It is incredible to see first hand how Kim K and Mario Lopez and other pal around with him. Too bad they have never seen him at work. Complete mental case.

steve

So the slimeball that gets rich by talking drunk teenage girls into taking off their clothes has to pay money to the slimeball that gets even richer by getting drunk dreamers to throw away their money. And I care because...?

katela

And evidently Joe Francis and Scott Disick are big buddies. Still up the Kardashian ass TMZ? Could you find s***mier people?

katela

love4restaurants

I am so proud of you, Mr. Steve Wynn!! YOU WERE MY VOICE and I am sure many other women’s voice. I had an incident with Joe Francis several months ago. He hit my car, broke the mirror, cursed at me, denied it, and then it escalated into a physical fight. As a result, I was bleeding, bruised up and had scratches on my forehead. He escaped the scene, and then returned about 30 minutes later, he acted totally crazy, restless, and even police had a hard time to handcuff him. Police described him “hyper”. I would describe him differently, but leave it as that. Police assured me that he would pay the damage. Not only he did not pay the damage, he also instructed the insurance company to not pay for the damage. I paid for it and left it behind me. I knew he’ll get it, sooner or later. It was sooner than later thank to you! You, the SHARK did it for all of us, the little fish in the ocean. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! 

Phatsub

5 million plus 11 million doesn't make 20 million. What am I missing?

catya

joe francis is a freedom fighter for the first amendment.

sarah

Now he's got a 20mln dollar debt to go with his earlier story.

YouDontSay

Kudos to Steve!

woodin

Joe, give it up. You tried to burn Wynn on your gambling losses and you made up an elaborate story to dodge it.....it back fired on you. Move on....

texaschickeee

JOe, honey since YOU said it on GMA after the lawsuit started He CAN and did add it. Since your a d- bag and no one really likes you this is the price you pay. Sucker. I hope they bankrupt your arse.
I do see that coming.

cc

this is awesome, big mouth joe francis finally got what was coming to him for a long time. I hope he gets hit for another $60...mm in puniitve damages.

Michael Forever

He should of just paid his gambling debt the first time.

Rey

HA HA HA!!!! YES! HA HA HA!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4