Green Day Frontman

Enters Rehab

After On-Stage Meltdown

9/23/2012 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0923_billie-joel-armstrong_getty
Green Day's front man Billie Joe Armstrong is entering rehab for substance abuse ... a rep for the band tells TMZ.

The news comes just two days after Armstrong went ballistic in Vegas during a performance at the iHeart Radio Music Festival. He was videotaped screaming obscenities, slamming Justin Bieber and violently smashing his guitar on-stage.

The band's rep tells TMZ,  "Green day wants to apologize to those they offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas."

The rep adds, "The band regretfully must postpone some of their upcoming promotional appearances.“

Scott

How is that a breakdown, F Justin Bieber, and they do crazy s**t like that in rock all the time.

LCS27

If Billie Joe was having a real punk rock moment in her entire career, really something was wrong with him. Just saying the truth!

campy

Substance abuse? I just assumed he had some sand in his vagina.

Brittany

Wow! This was more serious than what I thought at first. Even before getting on stage he was plastered already. Good for him for taking the steps to get the helps that he needs.

Taterbug1962

I wish him the best in recovery. Green Day is one of a very few bands that I appreciate from the 90's music. They write some very good songs and he's probably just not liking getting older and his life in general. We all are susceptible to a breakdown at somewhere in our lives. Pills don't help....peace to Billy. And Beiber is annoying. Lol

EmmaL27

ROFLMAO! That's a meltdown? I've seen worse.

Kulczyk

I don't blame him for being pissed. GD started out in a garage, not in some producer's studio like Bieber and Usher. I don't personally like GD, mostly because they ripped off the Buzz****s, but at least they write their own songs and play rock music, unlike the horrible overproduced so called - r&b crap.

ken H

Wow how original. Smashing guitars! Who would of thought of that??? Try something new. Stop acting like a dick head and get back to being a good band!

KnuckleDragger

Rock&Roll, drugs and alcohol go together. If you don't walk that edge as a performer...you become a Justin Bieber. No one, that's sober, understands Rock&Roll.

When's the last time you went to a concert straight?

The Bee Gee's doesn't count!

Kiko

I actually thought it was one of the most legitimate onstage breakdowns I've seen in a while. To be told to cut your set in half because they started late and need to accommodate Usher? pffftt.... Hell, I was onboard. For one brief shining moment Green Day was relevant again.

Flo

does anyone know anything about Green Day and its members? Really?! I remember seeing him onstage in 95, he was stoned out of his mind. That was GREEN DAY! The PUNK band. People have problems. And addiction can be a bitch! Get better Billie! Your true fans want you to keep rockin!

Flo

JulesinSD

Note to Bille...Pete Townsend already smashed his guitar - back in 1967. Back then, it was cutting edge, now our just a rip-off weenie. Go cry in your money you empty liberal leftist loon! STAY in re-hab for all we care - I hope your record company gets the pants sued off of it due to all the missed concerts.

qwerpa

Lame! That wasn't even a meltdown, and now they're sucking up to I <3 Radio? Green Day just lost some cred. Hopefully they will get it back with their Uno (Dos, Tres?) Album(s) coming down which look awesome.

jeff

If you're going to smash your guitar on stage you need more the girly-man muscles so it doesn't take 5 tries.