Felix Baumgartner

HE DID IT!!!

Breaks Speed of Sound

10/14/2012 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Felix Baumgartner successfully completed his free fall, diving to the Earth's surface from 24 miles up in the air!!!!

Baumgartner at one point fell as fast as Mach 1.24, well above the speed of sound. He did not break the record for longest-lasting free fall, but if the distance holds up to review ... that would be record-setting.

1014_parachute_article
Felix made the jump using only a space suit, helmet and parachute. Before he jumped, he went through a massive checklist while his family watched from the control room in Roswell, New Mexico.

The mission, called Stratos, was sponsored by RedBull and used a helium-filled balloon to carry Felix 24 miles up into the stratosphere (around 128,000 feet) where he made the jump.

Felix was in free-fall for over 4 min and reached speeds of up to 729 mph.

Felix first attempted to launch last Tuesday from Roswell, New Mexico -- but aborted the mission, due to weather conditions.

harleyharlett

why......???

tom

He has balls of Steel!

billybob

This is when Austrians on roids come to the US. They do some really crazy shi.t.

Joe

the video won't play "video is private" comes up on screen when you push play to watch.

J

This video is private?

Sally

Amazing.

wendy

I watched it, impressive how it was done, and he landed on his feet!!! that was one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen...

VICKI

WE SAT MESMERIZED DURING THE WHOLE VIEWING. I FELT AFRAID A NUMBER OF TIMES, WORRING ABOUT FELIX MAKING IT BACK SAFELY.
WHEN HIS FEET TOUCHED THE GROUND IT WAS A GREAT RELIEF AND SO IN AWE, THAT THIS YOUNG MAN PUT HIS LIFE ON LINE TO PROVE THIS COULD IN FACT BE DONE. WOW. NOTHING SIENCE AND SPACE CAN COMPARE TO THIS FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME. GET THIS POLITICOS, YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR IT EITHER. HA, HA, HA, HA

BOHO

Take note David Blain ........ now that was a stunt !

Steve

It is amazing! Because everyone forgot about the originator, Col. Joe Kittinger who had the record for 50+ years, but Joe did it for Air Force and NASA. While Felix did for fame. Let's give credit to American Hero, Col. Joe!

Pimpcessa

It was phenominal to watch! I was clinging to my chair! People that say it's no big deal haven't skydived! Rookies have NO say!!!!! The first time I did it, I had to crawl out on a strut of a Cessna and let go! Then the chute opened up and clipped my eyebrow (scar still!) and knocked me out. I woke up and had to UN-TANGLE my chute, just to have it open, and eventually landed on my very small assssss!!!!! But once it was untangled, it was UN-REAL, like steering a cloud! You that criticize have probably never jumped! NO CLUE!!!!!!

Joshua

729mph is not breaking the sound barrier FYI. There are too many numbers on what his speed was floating around. I'm going to wait until the official numbers come

Firefly

I Think out of respect for the Col. he didn't go for the longest freefall. That is why he opened his shute just short of the record. He probably felt the longest distance was enough.

Rhonda C. Poynter

I think that this was really pretty cool, and taking the time to watch and think about what we're capable of may get me off the elevator to Hell, when I admit to knowing how to spell Kardashian, Honey Boo Boo and Lohan.

Jody

what a dumbass showboater.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments