Justin Timberlake

I'm 'Deeply Sorry' for

'Distasteful' Wedding Video

10/26/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1026-justin-timberlake-tmz
Justin Timberlake
has just issued a formal apology for the "distasteful" wedding video that hit the Internet this week -- seemingly mocking homeless people -- and he's so serious ... he's forcing the guy who made it to do community service.

Justin apologized in an open letter on his website to "clear the air," calling the video that surfaced on the web -- in which real homeless people offer Justin their well-wishes for his wedding -- a "lapse in judgment." (excerpt below)

Justin says the video was NOT actually shown at his wedding, and insists he had NOTHING to do with its creation, but writes, "I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by [it]."

He writes, "I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal."

As for the "friends" behind the video, Justin adds -- "My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive."

Nevertheless, Justin says, "I think we can all agree that it was distasteful."

Justin ends the letter, writing, "You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom."

Click to read the full letter below.

AN OPEN LETTER

To my family, friends, and fans:

The last time I wrote a letter like this, it was when I had the good fortune of attending a once in a lifetime experience by sharing an evening with some of America's finest at the Marine Corps Ball about a year ago. I was so moved by that night, I wanted to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, this letter holds a different kind of weight for me.

Normally, as some of you know, I am (by nature) a pretty private person. So, I don't really take it upon myself to comment on things that so often go misunderstood or something that has even shed any kind of dark light on what was and will always be one of the most special weeks of my life. But, in light of the recent events, I can't fight the urge to clarify my thoughts and feelings on what has been a very upsetting portrayal of the people closest to me and myself. It's not who I am as a professional or as a man.

I can't help but think of one of the many great life lessons my Grandfather has taught me... He told me when I was younger that "Sometimes, you are confronted with challenges in life that perhaps are not your own. And, when those moments arise, the right thing for a man to do is accept that responsibility, whatever it may be, and face it with honesty and humility."

So, I'm taking his advice. If for no other reason, than to clear the air so no one has to ever wonder how I feel about it.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't live my life making fun of people (unless, of course, I'm making fun of myself on SNL)... Especially, those who are less fortunate or those in need. I grew up with a family and community that instilled ideals in me like hard work, honesty and empathy. As a matter of fact, growing up in Tennessee, I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal. We have a saying there that "Everyone puts their pants on the same way(maybe this saying doesn't apply to guys who wear kilts. Although, I'm sure they put theirs on the same way too...)"

As it pertains to this silly, unsavory video that was made as a joke and not in any way in mockery:

1. I had no knowledge of its existence. I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it.

2. My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive. More so, I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding(which IS kind of funny if you think about it).

3. Like many silly rumors that I have been made aware of about the week: It was NOT shown at my wedding.

4. I think we can all agree that it was distasteful, even though that was not it's intention.
Once again, in the world that we live in where everyone thinks that they know everything, I want to be very clear... I am NOT defending the video. I agree with the overall consensus. But, to use another "pants" analogy... It seems that these days, misconception gets around the world before the actual truth even wakes up and gets it's pants on.

I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video. Again, it was something that I was not made aware of. But, I do understand the reaction and, by association, I am holding myself accountable.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts. It really is a blessing to be able to speak directly to my true fans so that you can know exactly where I stand.

-Justin

P.S. You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

MARGETALICA

It would be nice to find this guy a job, doesn't Timberlake own a restuarant ?Hutch and Rachel are jerks that deserve to be homeless .

Kim

Wow there are some miserable, judgemental people onthis site and I bet that if you followed their lives for a week you would find more swamp rat, ghetto, ratchet behavior than anything else, the man apologized which he did not need too, and you people still find a reason the hate. I am not a fan one way or the other but damn how dare you all hold people to higher standards than you hold yourself and your family members? I hope you all are this outraged, angry and judgemental with your friends and family members that have kids out of wedlock and then saddle the system, or continue to have kids by different men, to me that is disgraceful and distasteful but I bet 90% of you go sit up in their face and grin but you don't dare condemn them. Hmmmmmm!!!! if you are going to hold people that you don't know to these high standards you should also hold those that are close to you too the same. JS

Jules

That was a really stupid and poorly done video, not to mention, it was an extremely CRAPPY wedding gift. Geesh, why not just go to where they registered and pick up something they actually WANTED??? He ought to de-friend "Huch and Rachel." They don't seem to be too bright.

jen

people are people rich or poor doesnt matter everyones a judge and critic. and yes i didnt punctuate on purpose. no one is perfect but everyone judges like they are? and the site i kept seeing didnt say anything but how she interpreted it.

joe gillis

'lapse in judgement' excuse is getting old

Mr. Grimm

I am sorry too Justin. I am sorry that you can spend 6 million dollars on a wedding while there are hungry people out there dying on the streets without any hope. You know what 6 million dollars could solve? Who funds you anyways? It's time we start asking that question. Why are you guys so overpaid? Ben Bernanke must fund you and the good hard working people pick up the debt because they print paper money that doesn't really exist. If you were really sorry you would help get that guy off of the streets but you don't care. You go home to your mansion and live life for material things. You can have all the money in the world and you still won't understand the meaning of life.

jen

Ms H

With all due respect Mr Timberlake this wasn't an "error in judgement" that
Justin Huchel went through. It was an outright contempt for the homeless. Not
only did Justin Huchel pay each person to appear but think about how many times
Justin Huchel sat laughing as it was edited. The ERROR IN JUDGEMENT was involving the
names of JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE and JESSICA BIEL. As for telling Justin Huchel to work
100 community hours SAVE IT!
Tell Justin Huchel to donate hard cash money to help feed the homeless and it should
be more then he paid an attorney that he ran behind when this was aired in public!
Sending him to work community service is BULL.

Can you believe Justin Huchel works for Hilton/Hyland?? This is a person who works
in the Real Estate community. I personally hope your boss tosses your butt out on
the streets with those you like to laugh about and to those that support doing business
with someone whose disregard for human life is so shallow, well shame the heck on you
too!

Teri Hafenbrack

Probably just another publicity stunt. Aside from this seemingly new fad of in throwing up on stage, have they now gone to the ranks of recruiting homeless people for a mere $40. Milk and bolonese? Always, after the fact, it's deemed innoculous.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10