Justin Timberlake

I'm 'Deeply Sorry' for

'Distasteful' Wedding Video

10/26/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1026-justin-timberlake-tmz
Justin Timberlake
has just issued a formal apology for the "distasteful" wedding video that hit the Internet this week -- seemingly mocking homeless people -- and he's so serious ... he's forcing the guy who made it to do community service.

Justin apologized in an open letter on his website to "clear the air," calling the video that surfaced on the web -- in which real homeless people offer Justin their well-wishes for his wedding -- a "lapse in judgment." (excerpt below)

Justin says the video was NOT actually shown at his wedding, and insists he had NOTHING to do with its creation, but writes, "I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by [it]."

He writes, "I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal."

As for the "friends" behind the video, Justin adds -- "My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive."

Nevertheless, Justin says, "I think we can all agree that it was distasteful."

Justin ends the letter, writing, "You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom."

Click to read the full letter below.

AN OPEN LETTER

To my family, friends, and fans:

The last time I wrote a letter like this, it was when I had the good fortune of attending a once in a lifetime experience by sharing an evening with some of America's finest at the Marine Corps Ball about a year ago. I was so moved by that night, I wanted to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, this letter holds a different kind of weight for me.

Normally, as some of you know, I am (by nature) a pretty private person. So, I don't really take it upon myself to comment on things that so often go misunderstood or something that has even shed any kind of dark light on what was and will always be one of the most special weeks of my life. But, in light of the recent events, I can't fight the urge to clarify my thoughts and feelings on what has been a very upsetting portrayal of the people closest to me and myself. It's not who I am as a professional or as a man.

I can't help but think of one of the many great life lessons my Grandfather has taught me... He told me when I was younger that "Sometimes, you are confronted with challenges in life that perhaps are not your own. And, when those moments arise, the right thing for a man to do is accept that responsibility, whatever it may be, and face it with honesty and humility."

So, I'm taking his advice. If for no other reason, than to clear the air so no one has to ever wonder how I feel about it.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't live my life making fun of people (unless, of course, I'm making fun of myself on SNL)... Especially, those who are less fortunate or those in need. I grew up with a family and community that instilled ideals in me like hard work, honesty and empathy. As a matter of fact, growing up in Tennessee, I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal. We have a saying there that "Everyone puts their pants on the same way(maybe this saying doesn't apply to guys who wear kilts. Although, I'm sure they put theirs on the same way too...)"

As it pertains to this silly, unsavory video that was made as a joke and not in any way in mockery:

1. I had no knowledge of its existence. I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it.

2. My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive. More so, I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding(which IS kind of funny if you think about it).

3. Like many silly rumors that I have been made aware of about the week: It was NOT shown at my wedding.

4. I think we can all agree that it was distasteful, even though that was not it's intention.
Once again, in the world that we live in where everyone thinks that they know everything, I want to be very clear... I am NOT defending the video. I agree with the overall consensus. But, to use another "pants" analogy... It seems that these days, misconception gets around the world before the actual truth even wakes up and gets it's pants on.

I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video. Again, it was something that I was not made aware of. But, I do understand the reaction and, by association, I am holding myself accountable.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts. It really is a blessing to be able to speak directly to my true fans so that you can know exactly where I stand.

-Justin

P.S. You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom.

datruth

Wonder if he would have declared all this "behind the scence" If he was not called out on it.

Thomas Jefferson

The great friend who made this video is Justin Huchel, maybe we can see him working at the Union Mission.

Yolanda Wilkinson

Looks like someone has created a fund raiser for this guy. I might be willing to kick in a few dollars myself. See it at http://bit.ly/TI2t1m

Arcadia Rink

Justin, put your money where your mouth is. Provide appropriate compensation and help for the homeless man in the video. Why not help him with a set of dentures and/ or a REAL acting job? Then, I'll be impressed.

DPATHLA

PATH (People Assisting the Homeless) extends a warm invitation to Justin and his friends to come meet our clients and check out the work we do in Hollywood and throughout Southern California http://youtu.be/E2gloHZaStg

BigJigga304

I made my friend do community service... or else what? He can't hang out with you anymore. No one wants to hang out with you anyway unless they wanna meet your girl and jerk off to her later.
Knock it off with the BS

tonee2balls

what an *******.

Ronni

Apology NOT ACCEPTED! Of COURSE it was made to be insensitive. And no one would do that unless they were sure the person receiving it shared the same sick opinions. I'm done with JT. 100 hours of community service, what an affront.

Renee

He wrote it's instead of its in item number 4. to me that's the real tragedy.

DogBoy

Lol, Ok, you just keep believing that Justin.

ThePeachy1

In a world of fake celebrities and giant asshats, I may have to start a campaign to write in JT as a presidential candidate. Not ONLY is it REFRESHING that he is taking responsibility for the actions of his associates, he did it fast, and it was heart felt. Guess he is growing up.

Lovejac23

You're not sorry or you would of NEVER let this happen. Hope you got a good laugh, PIGS.

nightstars

I wish Justin Timberlake would give offer a helping hand of some type for the homeless people featured, whether that be financial, etc. It's a really big deal to those people that down on their luck to come into the orbit with someone so wealthy that actually has a kind heart towards them like Justin does and it would sure make them feel better I'm sure. Everyone's having such a hard time lately making it, it's unbelievable how hard it is to pull together a home, money, food, gas, a life, a living. How can the kids have anything less then a terrible time establishing because their parents are having a hard time too and can't help much. So, the hardships becoming a generational thing at this point. Everyone's having a hard time.

Danielle123

I'm absolutely positive that he got a laugh out of the video. Anyone who thinks that JT looked at the video and said 'Oh goodness. Why would you do this? It's so horrible' is out of touch. The only reason he thinks it was "distasteful" is because so many people think it was distasteful and called him out on it, and he knows that these very people are potential supporters and his cash flow. He is simply apologizing in order to protect himself business wise down the line. People need to stop readily eating the crap up that these celebrities constantly spew. They don't care about the homeless or you or me. They see us a dollar signs, plain and simple.

DahhTroll

If JT is realy sincer he well get the homless all new teeth so that thye can find jobs, and chew food.
Also JT should go pass out hundreds to homless.

Mybe this is a new trend the rich making fun of the poor. The middel classs is beig whiped out .
The rich get richer and the poor get pooer
and some how thats funny,,
shame on JT and all the snobs who did this may thier wealth be cursed.