Kate Middleton Nurse Suicide

Charges Possible

Against Aussie DJs

12/22/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1206_Mel-Grieg-Michael-Christian-dj-prank-article-2
Police in London say prosecutors are trying to decide whether or not to press charges against the Australian radio DJs that were behind a royal hoax that led to a nurse committing suicide.

Jacintha Saldanha killed herself three days after a prank phone call done by Australian DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian was broadcast. The two radio hosts impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles in order to get information about the medical condition of Kate Middleton. Saldanha was the nurse who put the call through, and it was a second nurse who gave them information.

Saldanha was found dead on December 7.

Prosecutors are reviewing the case to see if charges will be brought.

Greig and Christian are no longer on the air and their show has been canceled.

Jane

If they are talking about charges only for making a prank call, and it is illegal to make such a call, then I don't have a problem with it. I hold the station just as accountable as the DJs. The bosses at the station had the power to say yes or no. If they had said no, none of this would have happened.

However, charging them beyond a crank call I would not support.

I can imagine that would involve delving into the nurse's private life and medical history, which would only add to the pain her family is experiencing. The nurse made the decision to do what she did. She decided, for whatever reason, that she could not live with what happened despite the fact she had two children to raise. She chose death over finding a way to get through an extremely difficult time in her life. That was her decision, not the DJs.

However, the DJs and station management do not get off scot free as far as I am concerned. It doesn't take a genius to realize that when you prank someone so publicly, especially concerning someone's job and involving the English royals, that it will go viral and the person you pranked could possibly be humiliated world wide.

The DJs and the station did not mean for anything so tragic to happen, but it did anyway. Maybe they have learned that getting a laugh at another's expense, especially on a global scale, is not only just plain cruel, but it lead to unintended results that no one could predict.

BarrysConspiracyWorld

The people who should be charged are the people who murdered Saldanha. Maske no mistake, she was murdered, same as Princess Di.

There should be no charges against the DJs or the radio station. MI6 and the royals should be charged.

Zimba

I would like to vote for the hospital. They're screening was obviously lacking and they probably gave the nurse a proper telling off and threatened her.

Bryan

That woman who killed herself is a dumba** she wasn't the one who even talked to them! She just transferred the call! Who kills themselves over a transferred call?! -_-

tleeg

It was crappy what they did..and firing them would be approiate..but criminal charges is way to extreme. The nurse chose to kill herself. Noone forced her.

03firefly

The djs did nothing without their boss' approval. if someone is getting charged, it should be the higher-ups. However, I don't think they could have predicted that outcome over a home, so no, nobody should be criminally charged.

go home!

I could understand a bigger deal being made if it was the nurse who answered the call and gave out all that personal information about Kate how she was sleeping, etc. This woman just TRANSFERRED the call. She didn't even have a conversation with them about it. Not to disrespect the dead, but she obviously was unstable to begin with to kill herself over something like transferring a phonecall. She must have had other issues she was dealing with and made the hospital & DJ's her scapegoat. Sorry.

Danielle123

What person commits suicide over transferring a call? Especially a person with two children and a husband at home. Lay the woman to rest but no one is at fault but the nurse who took her own life. Nobody should be charged for anything.

Danielle123

In fact, the only thing at fault for this is their sentiment over there about the Royals. If these people weren't held to such a ridiculous status and on such a high pedestal, the woman probably wouldn't have taken her life. Nobody in the U.S. would even think to kill themselves over a celebrity so why are people over there killin themselves over some "royal family". If they keep this up, everybody that makes a mistake in terms of serving the royals will be offing themselves. It's ridiculous.

catster

It's important to note that privacy, particularly concerning medical and health issues, is considered a very big deal to most people (at least in the US per HIPAA, etc.)

I actually think that the DJs should at least be held accountable for impersonating the queen with the intent of illegally obtaining personal and private medical information about the duchess.

I bet there was a time (not that long ago) they'd have lost their heads for this.

BB not bb

If you commit suicide it is your own fault, no matter who influenced you or what curse you were under. You have to decide what your own life means to you. They seem to be trying to make people think they can blame others when a suicide happens. There was a case in NJ where a troubled kid with judgemental parents was bringing strange older men into the Rutgers dorm room for casual sex. His roomate Darrun Ravi was then charged with this kid's suicide because he was remotelly watching the strange man in his room from his laptop connected to a laptop in another room. The authorities tried to say this just embarrassed the kid so much that he jumped off a bridge, even though he was talking about jumping off the bridge before he was viewed on camera kissing some old man.

This whole concept is wrong but you had the gay community and others screaming for this poor nerdy Indian kid's blood. The same thing goes on with Muslims, they blow themselves up to kill some Jews, and then people blame the Jews for it. These people choose to do that, there parents and imams tell them it is a good idea. You can't blame others just because one person is acting crazy.

Yep

Didn't her suicide note say that the hospital was giving her a hard time about being the victim of a prank call? Maybe whoever is in charge at the hospital and whoever over reacted at the hospital causing her to commit suicide should be held responsible. If they would have just laughed it off she'd still be alive. The people at the hospital that made a mountain out of a molehill should be the only people in trouble.

Jayden

I really do not blame the DJ's for this situation even though I understand how humiliation can be the final straw for a person already in a fragile state. You have people who work for companies that can be so mean. Several years ago, I worked for a company in pharmaceutical sales and I was the number one sales agent and loved my job. I had been dealing with a lot of illness and my Drs. office called me to tell me that I had Staph in my bloodstream (which by the way is not contagious like skin staph can be). One of my bosses was listening in on my company phone to my conversations and heard this and told everyone in my office and told them it was contageous. Everyone treated me afterwards like I had AIDS. His mean actions caused me to have a nervous breakdown and I ended up trying to commit suicide and I was on life support several weeks. I never went back to work there or anywhere. I was once making over 100,000 a year and had to go to less than 20,000 on disability. My point is it only takes one mean action or such to cause such destruction in a persons life to make them want to commit suicide. I lost my job, my friends, and everything I owned over this. I can only hope that the Karma bus will run him over one day..

CyndiChainsaW

Ridiculous.

wow

if you are going to charge someone i would think the hospital should be on that list.. then the DJ's and then the station.. and that is about it.. i do believe that the hospital has more to do with it then what you may think..i bet they came down hard on her.. i mean really hard like you are going to be sacked..

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments