Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

spliffsmommy

um...if i remember correctly from highschool history,many african chiefs sold tribe members for slavery..so lay the blame evenly..and many of the ancestors are disrespecting their race themselves by being absent fathers,crack addicted mothers,just like white,brown and yellow skinned people..

jake

quentin>spike

pjd

We notice there are never movies made about the Black-owned plantations and their slaves. Also, there is never a "Thank you" for all the Union troops who fought against slavery, were maimed, lost their health and/or their lives.
As for Tarantino he is a mental mess.

Mark

That's right, Spike... it's ok for you to use the N word because you're black, but it's not ok for him to use it because he's white. Nice racism there.

Pua

Who cares, you've shown disrespect to each other for centuries...

Rob

I wonder how he feels about Mandingo?

joecrabs

For someone not speaking on the movie, Spike sure is doing a lot of speaking on the movie. Hey Spike, Its not 1990 anymore. let a real director make his damm movie.

ben

Spike you are a hypocrite

J4X

Spike is mad cos he hasn't made a movie that anyone wanted to see. Ever

palermo

Spike Lee is a racist jackass and always has been

jessecaleigh

Spike Lee is a hypocritical moron. He has a bigger ego than Kanye West. This is the guy that tried to Sue Spike TV because he felt they named it after him. Someone needs sone attention. And for you other idiots, this movie doesn't make a mockery or promote slavery. Its about the slaves rising.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Hmmmmmmm spike lee start making some positive movies I have not seen a spike lee movie in awhile I would welcome it

Pandaemonium

Spike Lee is disillusioned. It wasn't too long ago that every movie he made featuring blacks.. (All) ..threw the race card left and right and wrote all of the characters as "African-American", even though we know damn well all of them were born on U.S soil.

I guess it's only O.K to show history according to whatever the blacks say as long as you're Spike Lee.. or Tyler Perry.

stella

don't like either one of 'em. spike wakes up looking for signs of racism, and quentin doesn't strike me as someone who cares about morality. he just desperately wants all the hipsters to think he's cool.

Questdelsangraal

Well Spike I notice you are in no hurry to move back to Africa. Guess things are not that bad in the US after all.