Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Andy

i think there are many Rap songs that use the "N" word more than this movie. But it's "OK" because look who's rapping.

rj

Wow Spike needs a little history lesson slaves were sold to the white man from there own people the weren't stolen

DAZE

Your ancestors were slaves sold not stolen by your own ancestors. It's a friggin movie. STFU!! Not every movie out about black people has to have the same "I'm black and im proud" theme behind it.

UMGOWA

Spikes relatives are still in the trees

Buck Runner

LOL STILL more angry white posts! This is why white men should be racially profiled by the FBI. I'll bet that you could stop 90% of all school, mall, theater, Sikh Temple etc. shootings by flagging and profiling you angry idiots. NOW, why are you so angry? This country is NO LONGER WHITE you idiots. EVERY OTHER RACE in this country voted for Barack Obama to be President, WHITE people voted 60/40 for MITT ROMNEY to be President and LOST!! Which one of you whiney angry jackasses is going to take those facts and snap and shoot up a movie theater or slaughter a bunch of helpless babies as a result? The FBI will be pressured NOT to profile whites(while every other race in the country is readily profiled), while the next psycho is one of these angry white posts here on this page.

Mbender

still sold by their own people

Melody

I use to love Spike Lee films back in the day! and he's still a great director and writer, producer. But, I like Quentin as well! As a very proud African American woman, I love my Ancestor's who contributed greatly to the world in a very positive way. Being the Firdt man and woman of God Almighty creation gives me great joy! but, I think Spike may be a bit jealous that he did not pay honor to our African ancestors first! it's great to give respect to a people that gave everything to America and got very little in return and to the world. But, lighten up Spike! he has the right to film as he pleases. I don't like it when black people try an "over use racism" on our people! if racism is there, then handle it appropiately! but, every time a white or non black film maker wants to talk about black people, it should not make spike lee pissed! if it's an insult to black people, we won't support it! but, the truth is the truth! I say stop all the bs and be friends! everybody does not hate black people and our the enemy of us! every black person does not hate white people either! ignorance is a disease that needs aid. Life is too short to deal or worry about racist and ignorant a-holes. do your own thing and be happy! Let it go spike!

Chase

Sorry but maybe you all should stop calling each other ******s, then your opinion would be relevant.

...

Spike, you haven't been relevant for years now. Please move on.

VeeVinnie

Remember 1986, when Spike Lee was still relevant and a few people cared about his opinion?

Justin

Ohh i'm sorry. I didn't realize i needed spike's approval to watch this movie. Your still living in the past spike. You have racial issues and need help.

tara

HELLO, BLACK rappers use the n-word all of the time. What makes black who use and glorify the n-word that other races are going to respect them and not use it. You've told everyone it's okay to call you the n word. You can't change and say it's wrong b/c its recorded in histroy now. Take a lesson from the Jews b/c if you pulled that s*** by using anti-semetic language in music they would shut you down in half a second or quicker. The world is okay with you degrading yourselves, but try degrading them and you'll see that they won't stand for it, they repect themselves much more and they basically don't care what you call yourselves as long as you make them money!!! When someone calls these rapper's child(ren) the n or b word, please don't pull out a gun and hreaten to shoot or get mad, they're only following your own examples. So please stop complaining. Talk to your black people who glorify the might N word!

youtube_bigtruckseriesreview

i love spike's movies, but he is a hypocrite and not as good a director as Tarrantino. I'm going to see it tomorrow - or tonight.

JOEY CHESTNUTS

Is Spike gonna post QT's address on-line?

mike spallone

**** spike lee he's a has been...