Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Denver

Let's see.. When was the last time Spike was in the news? Oh yeah, when he put out a hit on Zimmerman and sent people to the wrong address! Or that ridiculous lawsuit against Spike TV. Go watch your Lakers lose Spike leave your comments to yourself.

ROTTIE

"PLAY'N" slaves in the movies - earning millions [potentially or actually] doing it.

KimKnLohanRSlutbags

Spikey What about your movie White boys can't jump?

Yup

Oh boo f*cking hoo. STFU, spike lee nobody gives a crap about your whining & bitching...

kakes

Think he needs a history lesson.... People were not stolen to be slaves. They were SOLD. So, maybe he should be upset w/the people that sold the slaves and not the people that bought them.

Birdsht

All Spike does is piss and moan like anything he says means jack sh*t. You are no longer relevant nor were you ever. Cant think of a single movie you made that is worth 2 hours. Maybe you should worry about the quality of the movies you make.

Me

Oh, Spike, go away ! Jamie Foxx (even though he was an arse to Leo) didnt have a problem with staring in the movie, so just leave it alone.

Go play with Tyler Perry

deeticer

Why is everyone mad at spike for his opinion,it shows true ignorance,where is tmz finding these people....wow

Harlin's Garage

I thought we ran outta Race Cards by now...

tashaedaye

reading some of the racists remarks referring to my people as monkeys and gorillas just makes me proud that I have always taught MY child to respect others no matter what race religion or sexual orientation...where did some of your parents fail you? TRULY SAD

ACE DEUCEY

"Are you gonna bark all day little dog... or are you gonna bite?"

lovemusic29

I pray for the ignorance and the lack of understanding some of these people share. These comments are foolish! I love your movies Spike they are classic and educational to not just Afican Americans but

Greygoose125

Spike Lee is forever hating on another filmmaker's work. While he is entitled to his opinion - Spike sounds bitter since no one seems to be checking for his movies anymore.

He should just stick to trolling Knicks games.

this is madness

Um, why is everyone commenting so quick to call Spike Lee a racist? What has he done to prove hm to be a racist? And all of you are suddenly experts on the transatlantic slave trade? Saying that no Africans were kidnapped is nonsense...I will admit in east and some parts of central Africa they was an exchange because there was a misrepresentation of what kind of life these servants would leave once they left the continent. In West Africa, ppl were outright kidnapped.
I think the convo being sparked here shows that having these conversations and having a movie with such a fantastical idea that one slave is gonna kill a bunch of ppl is distorting the actual history of slavery in America.

karlew

Spike: Hasbeen and boring + Quentin relative and inventive = Jealous rant.