Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Me

Oh, and another thing for Spike, ya really cant compare slavery to the Holocaust. Some Jews were taken as slaves, the ones Hitler didnt want ('bout 6 million of em), were thrown in death camps, and I think you know the rest.

So hit the history books, Spike, the 2 dont even compare !

Nvts

Spike Lee sucks..........he is jealous and black.

Gargamel

When is the last time Spike made a movie someone wanted to see?

Jericho Morton

The same rulers in England were slaughtering my ancestors for a thousand years before any of 'Spikes' ancestors were sold by their chiefs to the same people. They call it the British Empire, and everyone knows the sun never sets on the British Empire. That's because God doesn't trust the English in the dark. Spikes faux upset demonstrates his racist underbelly. The fallacy of argumenta ad Ignorantiam, ad Verecundiam, ad Hominem, ad Misericordiam. A fallacious full house. Well done Spike.

lovemusic29

For everyone. Its disheartning to read that people are still calling people.gorillazs which is rasict for the ignorant people that dont know any better because their parents were rasict too. I pray my generation knows better then to discriminate against the way God made someone! Whether blacks sold black all these are comments will never justify or make it ok what whites did to blacks in those days treating blacks like they were animals clearly some of you lack empathy if that was your ancestors i think you would have more respect! Get the Hate out of your heart its only hurting yourself and pray GOD forgives you because you know not what you do!

h3rrqt1

Its a movie... most movies are for entertainment. I will go see it. Just love the actor line up casted.. On Spike- he needs to be relevant these days so he decides to 'protest' against anything that will put him in the spotlight. Th reality of it all is that ALL races,countries, ethnicities enslaved Africans/Blacks without remorse or apologies. During that time to present the 'N' word along with other horrific acts have been expressed. However, to overcome that struggle pregressively with fight would make any ancestor proud. Carry On!

DD

Lee is the decedent of slaves and slave owners (Google: "Spike Lee Guinevere Grier") I guess he has multiple reasons to be upset...

versatiley

Funny how this clown can find gall to critique ANY movie dealing with slavery or post slavery issues. After all, he DID make a movie called St. Anna Danamarana whatever and still can't understand what the message was. Black war heroes? Which ones? The white child's savior or the Black dude falling in love with the white chic? Why didn't he criticize "Tuskegee Airmen" for the obvious? Oh...we know...Black man falls in love with white chic. This is the theme of ALL his movies of late. Black AND white folk aren't paying to see his broke azz movies. We're PAST jungle love. The reason he doesn't like THIS one is because a Black man finally was fighting for the love of a Black woman. Thank you Torintino and Jaime Fox for finally giving us something we can feel. Spike..go take several seats with the scarecrows rustlin' up BS about anything positve going on in the Black community. I'm sure folks like Tavis Smiley, Cornell West, Allen West and even Eric Dyson(after seeing his oration at 2010's Black "We Count"agenda) will see things your way. Yes you did at one time make moveis we actually loved, but your body of work has been laid to rest. You should like wise do the same. And your hate filled remarks on positive men like Tyler Perry makes you look even more foolish. Aint' nobody checkin' for you OR your 1970's Black Power movement.

Areader

I wonder if the real issue is that Tarantino's white.

MarcaR

Spike forgets his own people sold tttheir bros.

barnyardhumor

Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with Spike Lee but people need to boycott this movie. Foxx saying Obama is our Lord and Savior then talking about how good it is to kill white people. Making a PSA with other celebrities about gun control - this hypocrite is making a ton of money off this movie which is nothing but violence. BOYCOTT.

jay26mc

He's just trying to bring attention to himself again.

rsmik

He's mad because he didn't think of it first

Thetruth

I can't see how he is hating like some people are saying. He is standing up for what he feels what kinda movie is this??????? I believe if this movie was about a Jewish man in this role Jewish people would be offended, that is a subject that shouldn't be made into a damn action movie, it should be just left as history

tleeg

Spike Lee can go f**k himself. Lee is most racist film maker in history. Q.T. is a great film maker and i WILL definately be seeing this movie.