"Django Unchained"

N-Word Controversy

You Be the Judge

12/29/2012 9:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1228-django-unchainedSpike Lee is boycotting Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" because the N-word is used 110 times. Interesting, since Spike has used the N-word in some of his flicks. So we gotta ask ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Pink

Spike Lee you are no longer relevant, leave the planet, good bye.

msteve

I went to see this movie and it was AWESOME!!! As a black woman I can honestly say I was NOT offended by this movie at all and if as a black person you were offended then it's time to do some introspection this is not by any means a racist movie. If you haven't seen this movie and are judging it then stop, go see it then give a statement. I live in SC and the N-word is still used today, not as much but it's still used. This movie is highlighting a moment in time 1858 right before the civil war and blacks were treated horrifically. This movie is not however a realistic or historical do***entary. This is a Tarantino film. I honestly don't remember battered women being angry over Kill Bill or Jewish people being upset about Inglorious bastards. Sometimes we (blacks) can be a bit too sensitive. Also Spike Lee doesn't like Tyler Perry either, I've come to the realization that if he didn't ok the movie or didn't direct it he's against it. Spike Lee isn't the voice of all black people. Tarantino did right by this movie and the lead character was the hero, he rescued his woman and took back the power. I haven't seen any black directors making a film like this.

ex

I think Spike Lee's big problem is the fact that Q.T. is white and he don't like the fact Q.T. is using the word when in context it is a totally different meaning coming from a white person. Saying that, you can't have your cake and eat it too, when you too also use the word in your movies. It's dont matter if you close the word with "er" or "ga" if you don't want people to use the word then don't use it yourself. If the word is soooo offensive then the word should not be used by your own people.

Serious Jelly

Speaking of slavery.

Whites were auctioned on the block with children sold and separated-from their parents and wives sold and separated from their husbands. Free Black property owners strutted the streets of northern and southern American cities while White slaves were worked to death in the sugar-mills of BARBADOS... Jamaica and the plantations of Virginia.Hundreds and hundreds... of thousands of WHITE SLAVES WERE ENTRAPPED ON BARBADOS. "YOU WON'T SEE THAT DEPICTED ON TMZ OR THE DISNEY CHANNEL!"

wewatchmoviesfree

This movie is good to watch. Critics have described the film as bold and original, but some reviews criticized the film for being ultra-violent but it is all happening in action movies. Since this movie is about good versus evil, not race so one should not make it a point of discussion. Watch at

Serious Jelly

There were many times more Whites brought to America as Slaves than there ever were Blacks. And the White Slaves were treated much worse!

The Scots‑Irish have been enslaved longer than any other race in the world's history. Most governments do not teach White Slavery in their World History classes. Children of modern times are only taught about the African slave trade. The Scots do not need to be taught because they are very aware of the atrocities upon an enslaved race.

liquidbabydoll

F*ck this movie,
F*ck spike lee
BOTH are overrated & racist crap

awesomewave

Spike is just jealous. Is he the same guy who made the N-filled Do The Right Thing?

Soiled Midget Panties

All I really know is that white people are racist. I can say that 'cause I'm not white and therefore not a racist.

Rob

Quentin and Spike? Both are nuts in my opinion and I could care less about either one of them. Spike is a racist and Quentin is an idiot. Again my opinion. It's OK for blacks to use the "N" word but get their shorts in a tangle when anyone else does. Time to get over it.

tmzer

f*ck off. always that stupid racist controversy. and it's just to hype the movie. and if you promote it like that with that n-word thing it's probably a movie for people who like that cliché and style and saying n.i.g.g.a. to themselves and claim they own that word. there's nothing racist about it just cause the white is in it.

Poster ATAT

It's not healthy for Blacks to promote a giant "I'm weak" button, known as "the N word".

If you want to be strong, don't have a button that can be pushed and you go nuts.

If I were racist, I would promote the weakness and admonish everyone from severely damaging Blacks just by uttering a sound, which, by the way, is protected speech by the US Constitution.

What worse trap could one fall into?

Here's a terrible idea: Go to pieces and fall apart, become dysfunctional if someone does something they have a Constitutional right to do.

tracker

Until you start showing women respect and stop the 'BITCH/HO' CALLING THEN I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR NAME CALLING ISSUES..THE RAPPERS WANT TO THROW THE N WORD AROUND ALL DAY LONG? LETS ALL GET EDUCATED...

wendy

this little man has big man hate. it's people like him that keeps racism alive. I have never seen him in an interview where he doesn't bring up racial differences, since he's successful in his career is whitey really the enemy, or could it be he has alot of anger issues in general. The jewish community does not have anger against gentiles...this guy's a clown.

futuredrmd

1. I'd know nothing of this, if not for this website. If anyone else is reporting it, they did so maybe once. Bottom line, this 'issue' has been featured far too many times on tmz. 2. Your poll should ask if SOME blacks are too intolerant or if SOME whites just don't understand. The frequency with which you have reported on this, and the wording of your poll leads me to believe you are trying to fuel a fire that is not even burning. Irresponsible 'journalism'. This is my first and last comment, I will not visit this antiquated, silly site again.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments