"Django Unchained"

N-Word Controversy

You Be the Judge

12/29/2012 9:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1228-django-unchainedSpike Lee is boycotting Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" because the N-word is used 110 times. Interesting, since Spike has used the N-word in some of his flicks. So we gotta ask ...

Rick

if saying the n word is so bad, then why isn't it wrong for the black community to have their own network...namely BET? That is surely racist.

Runphreak

Blacks have been saying the "N" word forever and other races are called racist if they use the word. As soon as Blacks stop using the word, then others will stop using it. No doublestandards. OH, and by the way . . I've never owned slaves and none of my family did either. Additionally, slavery was a long, long, time ago. Time to get over it; stop making excuses; and, get on with life - on your own.

john

This movie sounds like another piece of crap from liberal hollyweird and now our transparent and knowing all loving **** bag president can come out and embrace his bundlers...

Ryan

So by this logic Spike Lee should have been complaining about The Wire a LONG time ago?

TrixLaRue

Does Spike boycott all things with the gratuitous use of the N-word? That's a whole lot of boycotting....funny...this is the first I've heard of it.

Bellaca

The majority of ppl voting ARE white--that's obvious.

While I am fine with Django Unchnained,

racism is not something I take advise from whites about. After 400 years, blacks know what REAL racism is (referring to Pres. Obama has a "food stamp/ welfare president" and demanding to see his "transcripts" is racism and no "opinions" from whites will change that).

Anyhow, Django is what it is--a movie depicting a racist time. It has as many uses of the N-word as Roots. Still thin Lee wishes he directed the movie.

Mihalick

Judging from the poll numbers, TMZ's viewers are predominantly white lol.

bitch please

There should be a box that asks- TMZ sucks ass and likes to provoke people...... YES

tenley

It's purely to make money. See how Harvey would like it if some straight gay-basher used *** 110 times in a movie to sell tickets and TMZ kept posting this **** to see if it's okay.

Metal70s

Black shall NEVER be free of the N-Word and Self oppression until THEY stop using it.

OOO Billy

I bet Spike Lee's iPod has the "N" Word more than 110 times!!! What a douche!

Marty1234

Thats more times than Democratic Senator Bird used it in the senate....Odd nobody seemed to care then?

Pimpcessa

Personally, I think the "N" word is one of the most disgusting words in the english language. Everyone that knows me knows how I feel about it. HOWEVER, if you are a black person that uses that word, and try to tell me that I cannot (without accusations of racism) because I am white, then I say "F U"! I say it's racist for you to tell me that because of my skin color, I am NOT allowed to say a word that you are allowed to say....because of YOUR skin color.

Oh, and I don't agree with calling all black people "African Americans". For starters, not all blacks in this country are African blacks. Secondly, I'm Irish and Scotch, but I don't need to be called "Irish and Scotch American". Actually, unless you're an American Indian, we could all use these terms if we so chose. But we don't, we want to be united, not divided, hence UNITED States of America.

Maybe if the black community would stop wanting to have every achievement they have, turned into a "black thing" (ie: black tv channel, the first "black so and so", etc), they may start getting treated the same as the rest of us. But sometimes I get the distinct feeling that equality is not the goal of SOME black people, but to be treated better because of guilt because we had the audacity to be born white. Therefore, we must limit our vocabulary to appease those who feel I owe them a free pass......

Rob

The N word was PC in the 1800's.

tenley

Hollywood, read these comments -- there is no getting around the fact that this movie appeals primarily to flamboyant racists, look at all this ignorance and their unfettered slurs.