Huell Howser

'California's Gold' Host

Dead at 67

1/7/2013 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0107_huell_howser
L.A. TV icon Huell Howser -- best known for hosting the wildly popular travel show  "California's Gold" on KCET -- has passed away at age 67.

A rep for KCET tells TMZ, Howser died in his Palm Springs home early Monday morning of natural causes ... details surrounding his death have not been released.

He hosted his Cali travel show for 18 seasons -- and only recently retired in November after completing over 440 episodes.

Fun fact: Howser also appeared on two episodes of "The Simpsons" ... Matt Groening was a huge fan.

bernergirl

He has the same smile as Charlie Sheen.

cc

That's so sad. I interned for him while he was at KCBS (and I was a student at UCLA). A truly nice guy.

Stacy

My condolences to the family. I didn't ever watch the show.

willard

"That's Amazing" I'm sad his time has passed, I will always remember him has a happy person. By the way making a weed a villain, not cool....wilard

monie roche

a great guy...kind, friendly, a great laugh, interesting...he could get excited watching an ant cross the street...child-like wonder he had...watching his shows taught you everything about los angeles and california...met him once shopping and insisted i go before him...what a loss, but we will have his shows on pbs...

Red Lily

I will miss Huell's down-home folksy interview style. I true Los Angeles/CA public television icon.

will

Southern California, lost a true T.V. icon.. He took Ralph Story's place from back in the day place and went to a different level.

Christopher

Loved all of his work including Video Log, California's Gold, and Visiting with Huell Howser. You will be greatly missed.

YouDontSay

I absolutely have enjoyed all his shows. He was a kind a funny man. A big loss.

Stinkythechimp

Huell's quaint, folksy charm and his enthusiasm for everything California made California's Gold a great show. RIP Huell you will be missed.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I loved that show. Good journey, Mr. Howser.

Twiz

RIP but seriously, no one outside of Cali knows who he is. On a slow news day gonna post the death of any state icon??

eicarr

NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter where he's at I'll watch any episode of his show. He could make a port-a-pottie sound like the coolest place on earth. I'm all bummed out now. :(

LBputzer

Details will be released, but I doubt Huell died of 'natural causes'. The inside story amongst those that know him was that he was terminally ill---which is why he announced his retirement 2 months ago. I suppose illnesses like cancer are considered 'natural' - -- but I would reserve this term for people that simply expire unexpectedly--with no known condition.

A unique LA treasure--he will be missed. Kind of sad he never came out publicly--spent many years in the Marine Corps--would've been a great spokesman against "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

bob

Sad . He was the BEST at what he did. RIP.
I laughed and laughed the day I heard his nickname in West Hollywood was "Coke Can"

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments