Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

Catrina

Omg....RIP Roger....

Salvatore

Rest in Peace, Roger. You were a great writer, thinker and finally, a cultural icon in your own right. We will miss your writing, your turn of phrase and your encyclopedic knowledge of history and culture, with which you used as your lens for critical analysis. We are a better culture for your contributions, and may younger generations continue to become acquainted with everything you produced.

Olivia3100

RIP and my most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Givemeabreak

Rest in peace dear. You were an amazing writer.

BOHOE

Waitng for Lamar Odom 's statement ...........

dale12

You fought the good fight Roger, now its time for you to rest....My deepest condolences go out to the Family of Roger Ebert, Godspeed Dear Sir.

Googie

Was always entertained with Ebert's movie reviews, admittedly even more than some the thumbs up movies.
See you at the movies.

Another Roger

You got the chronology wrong. Siskel was with him from the earliest PBS days -- "Sneak Previews" to "At the Movies," etc.

Yurra Knutz

R.I.P.

Jessica

What a nasty POS he turned out to be.

wecomefromacell

hey we giive a thumps up or thumbs down to these comments all thanks to mr. Roger ebertt. Rip

sue

I admire the way he continued working and living his life to the fullest until the very end. He battled cancer for so many years but never seemed to feel sorry for himself.

Liz

Get your heads out of the 30 mile zone & learn your Hollywood Facts. Siskel & Ebert started working together on TV in 1975 doing "Sneak Previews" on the public channel in Chicago. In 1982 they were syndicated as "At The Movies" & in 1986 the moved to Siskel & Ebert. They are an institution & you couldn't even take 30 seconds to check wikipedia.

Starbum

Sorry to hear, I always enjoyed your show.

Iphone5

Wow I can't believe this absolute HATEFUL comments. You people should be ashamed! Maybe you all should be In Rogers position & see how it feels you heartless POS!