Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

friendlyone

'A child of former slaves?'

Ha! All black people are children of former slaves but I bet they pay thier taxes when they are supposed to. You are not above the law Miss Child of Former Slaves.

By the way, I'm black and that comment just made me laugh.

audiofish

She paid everything off and still got 3 months in jail? And you guys still think that prisons aren't for profit businesses?

ps. this would have never happened to a white person

icu

Lauryn give God the praise and write a gospel album. It's already in you. Only what you do for Christ will last. You will receive a greater reward if you would allow Him to inspire music that would lead His people to salvation. In the secular realm you can only stimulate their brains, but with Him you can touch their hearts that their soul may be saved. God Blessed and Keep you. Remember He is your very present help in a time of trouble.

Psalm 66:8-12
10 For you, God, tested us;.
you refined us like silver.
11 You brought us into prison.
and laid burdens on our backs.
12 You let people ride over our heads;.
we went through fire and water,
but you brought us to a place of abundance.
Lauryn Only Believe.

Elvis

What a stupid person. She has the stupidest excuses. Child of slavery. This racist bitch just got served exactly what she deserved. It wasn't slavery that made her NOT pay taxes for Years & Years. It was her greedy racist ass.

Look what they gave Wesley Snipes. He didn't blame Slavery and he got freaking YEARS (thank God he's out now) and then this little "My **** don't stink" gets handed a tiny little 3 months jail and 3 months house arrest.

she got off LIGH. She should be thanking God instead of coming up with stupid reasons for her breaking the law. DUMB racist ugly ass BITCH. Her record was over-hyped too. Not nearly as good as she thinks it was.

feedthepig222@gmail.com

When she goes to prison everybody's going to want that thang- that thing that thing.

Marcell

Lauryn deserve to go to jail, but she do not deserve the negative comments. Until you walk in person shoes, be quiet and let her deal with her situation. Still a fan of her music only.

francypie

hope they give her a good long bath!

craig

another phony whiny liberal...."tax the rich"...oh but not me of course, I'm an Obama disciple"

mercury

Why aren't the politicans that are guity in jail?

Gary

So are they letting out someone who would kidnap and tourture 3 girls for 10 years to make room for someone who didn't pay their taxes properly. Once she paid the taxes I would think a better remedy would be something other then prison when we have sickos being released to make room for people like this.

wendy

A good Democrat who didn't want to pay her "fair share."

hank the tank

Being the child of the civil war, where my ancestors were forced to fight for their country, i believe i need reparations

TC Colliins

ok, lets not liken not paying taxes and going to jail b/c of it to slavery . . . Lauryn you know better than that

bdby48

Charge her another 100K for every SLAVE comment that she makes. What a bunch of bullcrap, she wasn't complaining when she pulled down that 1.8 million. How did she get only 3 months, it should have been a minimum of 3 years. If you have money, you get the breaks, typical gov't crap.

Mother Nature

Pathetic excuse for a human being.