Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Lena

GOOD! finally a celebuturd who is shown that she IS NOT above the law! Damned fool! I think she should also be slapped, repeatedly, in public for saying that she is the child of slaves...ignorant jackass!

aliosh

She should have had 3 more months added just for making this idiotic comment......

Brutal

She's going to jail because she is stupid ... really really stupid. Her stupidity has led her to have a disgusting attitude about being black and thinking America owes her special consideration for things that happened 150 years ago. When will people like her finally get over it and get on with just being an American and good productive citizens.

Mich

Lauryn Hill and Wesley Snipes do time, Willie Nelson and Nicolas Cage don't. What's with that?

Gail

How did her accountant let this happen?? He/she should go to prison also.

shaggie

juicey 27 you are the Bitch

shaggie

She is telling rhe turth. Are you Black ?

Casaria

Here is what i don't understand with crap like this. So she didn't pay her damn taxes...now she will spend 3 months in a persion that those of us who paid our taxes pay for. She does hard time then doesn't have to pay it back? please tell me she still has to pay it allback or a good bit of it.

Bob DaMahn

LMFAO "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is" Bitch you couldn't come up with a measly 1.5m after selling that many units and let's be conservative and say she is talking about just single song downloads at $.99. Now its the White man's fault. Omg wtf REALLY! (/slap)

JEButler

Poor girl, how "da man" treats "dem" former salves is inhuman!!

worldclass

the music business sucks and before people write it off look into it.

Lisa

Guess you have to be a rich, white Republican to get away with tax evasion.

<3nj

stop comparing her to lilo. dont twist it im not a fan of either one, but i <3 nj n we'll find you!!! linds was smart enough to not to live here

spirit reaper

she looks like a slave to me

karen

Hey to all those who are yelling "racist," open wide your eyes or better yet, your minds; it's not about her, but simply about the "money. " It's Uncle Sam that's kicking butt. What is ours, is also his. She and many, many others, both black, white and other, should know this. Those who pretend they didn't, well, just check out the Federal prisons, they're filled to the brim with some of societies elite.They didn't make national headlines, because they were not from the entertainment circle.