Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Nobrows

And Lindsey is still out?

Snerkles

The ultimate Race Card. Claiming ignorance, with
a sentence like that, is laughable. Imposed economic paradigm....bwahahahaha!

ledzep2112

Nonsense. Even the sentence "I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me" -- is non-sensical. It is not proper grammar and does not make sense. Silly woman, playing the race card. Throw in the slammer. She sings for a living. Big deal.

LOL!

Damn, she already paid $975,000 and still owes more off of 1.8 million? that's morethan half what she made! I guess the rich really do get taxed hard!

John

Hello? The President is Black. Slavery won't keep you out of the slammer, but you'll be out don't worry.

Trigga31

What a stupid bitch. "I'm black so I don't have to pay taxes"

EllieS

Pathetic. Slavery comparisons are so 1990.

manbearpig

nothing like playing the race card- i mean that never happens.
i guess she feels entitled to reap the benefits of work done by others when she claims to be a child of slaves.
she is just greedy and got caught.
the race card has been played out long ago-.

jjbuff70

L. Hill is a racist. Shes the one who said she would rather have her kids starve than have white people buy her album. Yep another racist playing the race card. What a joke!

Wendy

This woman deserved a lot longer than 3 months. Like hell she's the child of former slaves, she was born in New Jersey to an english teacher and computer programmer. She acts like she's from some foreign country and didn't know we had to pay taxes. Comparing her tax debt to slavery is completely ridiculous.

DaNi

Amazing..Lilo continually gets off and Lauren (though she does deserve it) gets 3 months in federal prison...gotta love America.....

chevy88

Lindsay Lohan is out but she got to go to jail smfh

STFUP

What the F**K!? She's f'n insane! You earned MILLIONS of dollars and you think being required to pay taxes on those earnings is just like SLAVERY!?
Shut up b**ch. Do your time & be HAPPY it's only 3 months!

VictoriaGirl

Kind of hard not to play the race card ( no im not black) when lohan gets away with murder and someone who doesnt pay their taxes gets 3 months in jail followed by 3 months house arrest.

Queen.of.the.Obvious

3 months in federal prison...all the while, shady Wall Street executives walk free and multi-billion dollar corporations skate on paying their fair share via legal loopholes... smh. Take a look at CA's list of millionaires who are behind MILLIONS in their state taxes - I'd bet that most of them are not currently sitting behind bars.....