Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Queen.of.the.Obvious

People calling her music "garbage" clearly haven't actually listened to the depth of what she has to say. I am not black, yet, I respect her opinions and the way she has spoken out against "the system" ("I get out" for example - read the lyrics).

coastal

Here we go...playing the "race card". Where is Johnny Cochran when you need him?? Child of former slaves, my ass!! PAY YOUR TAXES HONEY, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US!! And don't blame it on the 6 kids you CHOSE to have either!!!

Truth

I HEAR WESLEY SNIPES OLD CELL IS AVAILABLE FOR OCCUPANCY. IN FACT, THE CELL IS OCCUPIED FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. LESLO IS THE NEXT TENANT. #TRUTH!!

Cookie

Really??!?! She pulled the race card? She is the most racist b1tch out there!! She doesn't want white people listening to her music; well say hello to the whitey that's going to make you her wifey in prison. She deserves what she got! Nobody feels bad for her and the child of former slaves comment is just ignorant. Everyone knows that they need to pay taxes, you just thought you were better then the rest of us. You don't deserve the money you have but you do deserve 3 months in prison, they should add another month on just for your holier-than-thou attitude too!!

Brian

I hope she didn't think paying it off meant no prison time. She got off pretty easy really. Only three months. Just take a long vacation.

Scott Levy

White celebs like Lindsay Lohan gets away with everything short of murder, but black celebrities like Lauryn Hill and Wesley Snipes go to prison over simple tax issues? Something isn't right.

MLK Jr. wouldn't be smiling today, that's for damn sure.

cementmixer

What a dumb bitch.Was her mammy and pappy slaves. She should have to go to prison today. What a deadbeat.

ICE

Wow. FYI not paying your taxes is a FEDERAL OFFENSE, not a local misdemeanor. So DUH don't compare her to Lohan. AND when you don't pay your taxes you get many many many many many chances to pay them back with payment plans etc.. She must have decided to IGNORE the government so guess what ya get what ya deserve!

Jamey Hunter

You know, I was starting to think it was ridiculous to put her in prison, then she played 'the slave card' and now I don't think she got enough time. Another over paid, self indulgent pseudo celebrity who thinks she's better than she is.

tgrfan42069

of course she had to play the race card.

Shoozie

WOW She is crazy. She is the child of slaves, huh? She must be 150 years old.

Meanie

Stupid racist bitch ... have a good time in the pokey.

VICKY

WHY IS IT PEOPLE OF COLOR ALWAYS ALWAYS PLAY THE RACE CARD WHEN THEY RUN OUT OF EXCUSES?? SHE COMMITED A CRIME. SHE IGNORED THE WARNINGS. SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS ABOVE THE LAW. SHE ONLY PAID WHEN FACING JAIL. SHE STILL GOES TO JAIL. GOOD. THEN CRIES RACE IGNORANCE. PLEASE...YOU PAID UP NOW SHUT UP.

Hanapana

Although the "poor me, I'm black" thing is pathetic, her point about paying taxes on something she created is still a good point. Most taxes these days are BS and aren't Constitutional.

James R. - Los Angeles

I understand her frustration. I'm a child of former slave owners.