'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

vinn

RIP Jeanne, you will be very missed so much by me and others who have watched the young and restless...RIP Ms Cooper..

Roxy

R.I.P. Jeanne Cooper-You were always a class act and took me through the gamut of emotions. Condolences, Prayers, love and light sent to her family and friends. You will be missed....

dale12

Y&R will not be the same without you Jeanne Cooper/ Mrs.Chancellor...We will miss you, Godspeed, & Rest in Loving Peace. My Condolences go out to the Family & Friends of Ms. Jeanne Cooper.

Joe

You will be forever missed,I will always feel your presence on the show. You truly were a first class act.The show will never be the same, RIP Jeannie Cooper.

ryan

i miss her already. She is why i watched the Y&R. Rest in Peace Mrs. C

babs

A REMARKABLE ACTRESS .R.I.P. JOB WELL DONE.ENJOY THE REST,YOU DESERVE AFTER A LONG AND WONDERFUL CAREER..

barbarella

Bye, Katherine, you and Esther were my moms favorite Y&R characters before she died last year. She watched you to the end. RIP

Daniel

RIP. Jeanne was fabulous as Kay Chancelor. I have been watching Y&R since 1989 and she was one of the finest ladies on Daytime TV. She will be missed.

Linda

You have been on my TV for over 40 years! Just saw you recently on "The Big Valley". What a wonderful actress you were right up until the end! You will be greatly missed. I am so sad right now.:(

Bippie3

Entertaining fight. But why do they both have perfectly coiffed hair after all that fighting?

noel

Aww, that's sad. But at least she seems to have had a nice long life and she died in her sleep. I hope I have that too. Classy lady, RIP

Michelle

RIP

JILL Waters

She was the reason I watched the show. :-(

Shirley

A very classy lady will be greatly missed. My condolences to both her real and studio families. I hope there are no plans to replace her on the show, because there are no substitutes for Jeanne Cooper.

theresa ream

My husband and I enjoyed you as a fine actress, Jeanne Cooper on the Young and restless, you were a great actress and you be missed by many people, may you rest in peace.