'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Pompano Ann

RIP, You were and will be known as a class act! Prayers to your family at this time!

Onyx

This is like my own grandmother passing away. She has been a part of my life since I was a child. She will be greatly missed & never forgotten. My heart goes out to her family.

Pamela

She worked right up until her time - doing what she like to do best. Will miss her sadly. The show will not be the same without her. Rest In Peace Jeanne. Thoughts are with her children and granddchildren.

Donandjo

Stunned when I heard. I will miss her on the show. Won't be the same without her

dee

wow I cant believe she is gone I just watched the young and the restless earlier today.the young and the restless wont be the same without her.me and my mom both watch the show and agreed it wouldn't be the same without her.its going to be weird knowing we wont ever see her on the show again. I wonder how they are going to play this out on the show?god bless and prayers go to her family she died so close to mothers day too

JS

RIP gone but never forgotten. A daytime television legend....

dee

Me and my mom watch the young and the restless everyday.my mom has been watching this show since she was 16 she is now 57 and now I watch it.the show wont be the same without her!!!god bless her family rip miss chancelor

Linda

I will miss Mrs. C so much. She was Y& R ! I have watched since I was about 15. The others on the show must be devostated. Condolenses to her family.

mm156king

I am a long time fan of Y & R. The show will not be the same without Catherine Chancelor. She will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

scoopie

oh, very sad.. been watching Y&R since 1976, and she was such a key element of it,, wondering how Y&R is going to handle this onscreen

bobbi eidam

I am Heartsick....

Inez Gionti

I watched her on the soap opera, she brought to life. A true wonderful actress. She made that soap opera, come alive. God Bless you, for being who you were, and bringing the flame that kept that Soap Opera. alive. We will all miss you, I offer my deepest sympathy, to your family.

Brenda

So sorry for your lost. What a wonderful lady and see will be missed.

toodie

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT I,LL DO WITH OUT HER.LOVE AND MISS YOU MRS C.

ELIZABETH DRAKE

SHE WILL BE MISSED ON THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. WE ALL ENJOYED HER.