'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Kathy

I remember her as far back as The Big Valley days...she played several different characters on that show...I loved her toughness but she could also be soft and feminine...RIP Ms Cooper. My sincere condolences to Corbin, Collin and Caren Bersen and family.

eros1968

OMG!!! OMG!!! I grew up with Ms. Chancellor and I'm, 45yrs old with 2 grown kids. I remember coming home from school and hearing my late mom watching "Young and the Restless" Wow!!! She paved the way for many other actresses and actors in daytime and night-time. Wow! I never knew her...yet...I grew up with her.

RIP: Jeanne Cooper (Ms. Chancellor)

Rita

I watch The Young and the Restless everyday.I am a very big fan of the show. Iwill miss Jeanne Cooper being on the show. No one will ever take her place on the show.

muriel kenyon

Going to miss seeing her on the Young and Restless and yes it will never be the same. Rest in peace my friend.My condolence to her family and friends.

Pete

I played blackjack at the same table with her in vegas and she was hysterical, we both lost but had the best time! A great memory for me, my condolenses to her family on her loss.

LadyLaw71

OMG, I Can't Believe This She Is One Of My Favorite Soap Actress OMG No More Mrs. Chancellor OMG.. Sympathy, Condolences, Prayers 2 Her Family & Luv One's w Blessings In Jesus Name Blood & Luv Always!!

Ingrid

I am so sorry ,may she rest in peace. I will miss you Mrs. Chanclor....

MizQui

I love you Jeanne Cooper. )))HUGS((( I will miss you immensely. THANK YOU for all of the wisdom you imparted to us about life, business and compassion - on a daily.

Cynthia Morton

I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny in Los Vagus during the Jerry Lewis telethon. We met by chance in the air port she was putting in a few coins in a machine. I reconciled her and she was as charming and a wonderful person in person as she was in the show. I have watched The R&R since the beginning

Carylon Lee

I will miss Mrs. Chancellor. There will never be one like her. Rest In Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sandy

My deepest sympathies to her family and her Y & R family as well. I have been a true fan of hers for 40 yrs and what a fine actress she was . The fueds between her and Jill made the the show. It will never be same without her. RIP Mrs C. We loved you.

Dee

RIP Jeanne, you were one of the greats in this lifetime of actors.........I loved you for years on Young and the Restless.....what are they gonna do without you?

Seriously?

Great lady! She will be missed, RIP.

carole s day

I have watch this wonderful from the moment when she joined the show I was 16 when she joined and I enjoyed watching the show with my mother that has also passed she will be greatly miss my heart and prayers are with her daytime family and her real life family God Bless.

Alwyz Neutral

SO SAD!!! SHE WAS THE MATRIARCH OF G.C., I GUESS THAT WILL HAVE TO BE NIKKI NOW. I LOVED THIS WOMAN, SUCH A TERRIFIC PERSON. I DIDN'T KNOW HER PERSONALLY, BUT I AM SURE SHE WAS A WONDERFUL PERSON. MY CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO HER FAMILY AND HER G.C. FAMILY. THEIR LIVES WILL ALL BE FOREVER CHANGED WITHOUT HER AROUND.