'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Yve

She was a great actress. She will be deeply missed. I've been watching her for 25 years. May she rest in peace. Greatest sympathy for her family.

Kitkat

Will be in our hearts forever RIP Jeanne.

Sheena

So sorry to about the passing of Ms Cooper have been watching since the very first airing of Y&R. Will miss her on show a lot....LOVED HER STYLE, no one can dress like her will really miss that...May God give her family his peace at this time....God Bless...

Felix

Condolences for Ms. Cooper's family-- real-life and on-screen.

RIP

cayenne

OMG she was 1 of my fav’s on the show R.I.P Miss. Cooper :(

cayenne

OMG!!!! You would be sadly miss R.I.P Miss. Cooper, you were 1 of my fav’s on the show.

Karen

I will miss you Mrs. C

Lisa McGonagle

I was so sad to hear of Jeanne passing I have watcher her as Catherine since the show began WE WILL MISS HER DEARLY
Prayers to her family WE LOST A MATRIAK

Gary Linn

RIP

Carol Miller

She was a class act. I loved watching her on Y and R.I am so sorry for her family. Rest in peace Duchess.

PAT

[JjEANNE YOU ARE GOING TO BE SADDLY MISSED. MY PRAYS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY. PLEASE DON'T TRY AND REPLACE HER BECAUSE NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO FILL HER SHOES

MC GRUNT

Hey TMZ why nothing on Benghazi and the failures, lies, cover ups of Obama and Hillary? When the Red Phone rings at 3 AM, Obama sleeps and Hillary won’t answer!

Diane

I remember she had one of her facelifts on the show.

Paul

I am sorry to hear the news. She was quite a lady! RIP

Mary Ssherpinski