Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

72183

Minutes later she passed away. I wish Miss Jolie all the best and that God watches over her and her family.

jill

she has a cancer gene, not as breast cancer gene or an ovarian cancer gene. i get why some women want to do this but i agree with other that this is an uninformed decision. it doesn't eliminate the risk of getting cancer. it doesn't even get rid of the cancer gene. i could understand doing this if you've already had cancer but to do it while your healthy makes no sense. especially so with breast cancer, which is the easiest to spot early on and when done so, has a high survivor rate. all she did was put her body through undo stress and risk.

Michael

Talk about a massive jab at JA and trying t stay relevant!
Why didn't she come out before?

She is a very calculating manipulative person.

Also, need to watch GIA if you want to see her when she looked good and not like death warmed over.

whocares

I wonder what she would do if brain cancer ran in the family?

Nanny

I have always thought she was a bright, incredibly strong woman - now I know it for certain.

h2078

I think that this whole story just goes to show how at least more than half the stuff you guys publish is planted by publicists.

DeeMaree

I'm sure a hysterectomy will follow but removing her ovaries will put her in menopause so a lot more to plan and think about there. Boobs or life. I would choose life too. AJ's mom died of ovarian cancer at 56. She fought for ten years to live. Giving the opportunity of having this knowledge at AJ's age, she would probably still be here to enjoy her grandchildren. Not just a brave decision by Angelina but sharing this just like Christina Applegate did lets other women faced with this decision know they are not alone. I have always thought Angelina drop dead gorgeous. She still is.

KicksandGiggles

As usual, POS TMZ site is not permitting votes and now you can't even reply to individual posts.

Anyway, God Bless Ms Jolie. It was an incredibly brave and unselfish act to ensure her adopted children would not lose another mother. And to anyone who criticizes her, especially men, please STFU and be grateful you did not have to make such a choice.

LornaDane

That is wonderful for her. But I tire of stories like this. What about all the other women in the world who would like this option, but are either uninsured or their insurance provider does not cover this expense. And not just women, I'm sure men would also like to know if they are predisposed to prostate cancer etc. Free healthcare. Just tax us. We get taxed for everything else...

Glynn

What's unfortunate is that most women probably can't afford genetic testing, nor can they afford having a double mastectomy by choice. Both would not be covered by most insurances.

annie

Good for her for begin so proactive..I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33 last year and I was starting to think about getting gene testing done because my grandmother had it and I sooooo wish I would have before I had.......and ladies do your breast self exams every month if your under 40 and have never gotten a mammogram...That's how I found my lump AND to top it all off I was still breastfeeding so make sure you check out every lump while doing this too...I thought it might have been a clogged milk duct but I guess not.

Shoozie

I think that anyone who had an 87 percent chance of getting breast cancer would do the same thing. Good for her! Thank you for your honesty, Angelina. You probably saved many lives.

Maggie

Wait, I know her! She used to be an actress before she met this bearded man who refuses to marry her, right? She's somehow gone bananas now, eh?

TEAMJENANISTON

only 38 comments? Like people don't give a POOP about you.

cocome

She made the right decision a medically correct decision. It's not a scam. I myself is a BC survivor and I applaud her for taking a proactive step in saving her life and being around to watch her children grow up. Had I been positive for the BRAC gene, I would strongly insist that my daughter consider prophylactic surgery rather than undergo all the treatments and live with the fear. FYI: I was diagnosed at 34, my daughter was 4 at the time. Life and death became very real. I chose to live and stick around and had both removed.