Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

Just My Opinion

I didn't like that she took Brad away from Jen, but still, you do not wish something like this on anyone. Best of luck to you, take care, and God bless!

Joe

So, did she have her ovaries out too? What about her chance of heart disease? She gonna cut out her heart next? Or liver or pancreas or colon? Even if the medical community was capable of accurately predicting any individual's statistical probability of getting cancer, which I seriously doubt, what's the point in deciding the outcome in advance? You can always have the procedure later if cancer turns up. This was just fearful foolishness masquerading as prudence.

And as for letting other women know that they "have options," I wonder if Jolie also had a double breast augmentation after the surgery too. Plenty of women might be able to have a medically necessary breast removal but not many women can afford a fancy Hollywood plastic surgeon to build new breasts after the old ones are gone.

bino1952

What a courageous woman. I haven't exactly been her favorite fan - but this, well....I am humbled by her courage . Courage to have the procedure and courage to open up her personal life to all that will undoubtedly save many lives and give other women the courage to save their own.

Looper73

You ignorant fools who have no idea how cancer works: MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE A HIGH RISK OF CANCER FREQUENTLY UNDERGO SURGERIES TO REMOVE THE POTENTIALLY CANCEROUS BODY PART TO REDUCE THEIR **AGAIN** HIGH RISK OF DEVELOPING - AND POTENTIALLY DYING FROM - IT. I truly don't understand your strong opinions against her actions. What, is it because it was her boobs? Would you feel that strongly if it were her stomach? Or a kidney? Are you people all 15 year old boys whose only concept of a woman's worth is her rack? Grow the eff up and understand that one of the world's most beautiful and famous actresses (whether you agree or not - frankly you've proven you have no concept of a woman's true worth) decided that her health was a bit more important than doing another topless scene in a movie for you to jerk off to. Go eff yourselves.

Lynnda

Good Luck to you Angleina, & thanks you for sharing your very tough decision. Healing payers are sent your way.

Just My Opinion

Oh, did Brad married this woman, yet? I mean, wasn't his reason for not marring her is that he was waiting on gays and lesbians can get married before he does? I think what this woman is going through now is a better reason to get married to her.

LynnW

As a man, I can tell you that it doesn't make her any less attractive or any less of a woman. I have known several woman who have had to make this choice, and they are as beautiful as ever. They, and Angelina, will always be very feminine. God be with her, and God bless her.

Vegas mommy

I applaud her for this!!! I want this done also it is a fantastic procedure to have done to lower your risk until they can find a cure!!!

Trish Wild

This is not an option for the vast majority of women, because their insurance companies are not going to pay for the incredibly expensive procedure based upon a "percentage of likelihood" .

I honestly think that this is just one more example of how the "1%" lives.

2idiots

Does insurance cover this type of procedure so the "average Jane" can do it too or is this consider "elective surgery" for the entitled?
Not sure I agree with her need to publicize this.

Madalyn

Those saying this was unnecessary do not know what they are talking about. There is still no cure for breast cancer and it is killing women every day. As a breast cancer survivor (so far, because you never know when it may reappear in bones, lungs, brain, liver, etc.) I've seen too many of my friends die. Many more have progressed to Stage IV after an early stage diagnosis and are undergoing grueling treatment to stay alive for as long as they can. In spite of the impression all the Komen pink ribbon crap gives, early detection does not protect you. Many tumors are so aggressive that by the time they can be found by any current technology they have already invaded other body parts. And once it does that you have a terminal disease. And younger women with the genetic link tend to get the more aggressive type. Good for Angelina for taking action now!

yvonne

Okay, if my doctor tells me I might die today or could die one day -- should I then kill my HEALTHY SELF to avoid the dieing one day???? Can you see how dumb this is to do????? The doctor should find a new profession and may well do so after this payment! Jolie needs a psychiatrist in my opinion and Brad now with her ... I do not find her healthy in any way at all.... she is plain media sad! Fear maybe ... but with her -- she has always been a news hog so now she takes away from the pink to her as a novelty. I think she is so sad ... that is all I can say ... I am relatively healthy--thank goodness--and I will die one day .. I do not know when and nor do the doctors or from what but I do have a 100 percent guarantee I will one day die though ... so maybe I should do it now?? -- to avoid that day???? Think about this people-- how silly is that thought?!
Thanks for reading this -- it may save your breasts or whatever else fear adjusts!

cl

I'm not so sure to say that being proactive was brave or stupid. Dr's are not always right. She did not have breast cancer, and though she was told she would most likely get it is still not having it. I would continued a healthy life style and would have monitored the situation closely. If she had such high likelihood of those two types, she could just as likeli get anyother cancers other places.

Wolfman

is this called preventive medicine ?

miriam

Angela Jolie, I send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery and good health for the rest of your life. You are one of my Women heroes that has done so much in the world for women and others. You are one of the most intelligent women and kind. I hope Arch angel Micheal keeps you healthy and guides you thur this time. His color is purple, look for it and you will find Arch Angel Michael the healer and fearless Angel of God.