Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

Lurker

I agree with Gene Wilder.

Jena Baird

I agree 100% I love the original! I love tim and his work I just dont feel his vibe was right for the remake. Can we remake the remake??? I love jonny and felt he def was a good choice but the way they had him play it just didnt work... And they changed up the umpa lumpas?!!! What!! The reason we make remakes is beacuse the movies are beloved. When u go and change every thing up it like it doest honor or respect why we loved them in the first place..

Kabala

Why did he wait 8 years to trash the film?

tleeg

I agree...the remake is HORRIBLE. The original is a classic.

Denese

Burton's was a more creepy version, that is what he is known for. Helena gives her candy bar a bj when she is kneeling by the bed at the beginning when they are trying to win Charlie a golden ticket.

BB not bb

I really don't like any of Tim Burton's movies. The original Willie Wonka movie is a classic though. It did look too dark the way Tim Burton portrayed it. I think it is supposed to be a movie about kids and innocence and hanging on to what is most important.

Johnny Depp is in creepy movies and always has an air of creepiness about him. I think he is very hard to relate to as a character. I don't know why he is so popular. Maybe people like his looks.

Feeniegal

I agree 1000 times with you Mr. Wilder. I HATE that remake. I can't believe it was even released it's so awful.

gbtw

i totally agree about burton! felt the same with what he did to 'dark shadows'! he paradies and ruins everything. but then, the guy has talent... we know that... it's just horribly misguided. do your own ****- nightmare before christmas and such... don't remake classics into jokes! not everything is the ****ing 'brady bunch movie'... so ANNOYING!

Laurie

I agree with Mr. Wilder. The other movie is just creepy.

kim

When directors remake a film that was so original and successful the first time around it makes me think they are to lazy to come up with their own idea & just want to ride on the previous success of the original film. I am so sick of remakes. The only exception to this rule for me is remakes of the classics: Pride & Prejudice, Romeo & Juliet, Great Gatsby.

bigfranklittle

Remakes will always suck to the previous generation until you find out some of your favorite childhood movies are remakes then it put it all in perspective. I don't think that there a lack of creativity as much as a lack of creative outlets entertainment has become so corporate no one can afford to take risks so they go with what already works and it's pretty sad... I'll try not to sprain my ankle getting off my soapbox!

Xianne

I wish I can wash the remake out of my mind . Willy wonka and the chocolate factory is my favorite movie I watch it when I'm sad and depress and it make me feel alot better.

Emma

AGREE! it blew

Cathryn Mazer

Agreed.

Linda

Burton ruined Dark Shadows too!