LeVar Burton

I've Got a Problem

With New 'Star Trek' Flick

6/14/2013 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

061413_levar_burton_launch
LeVar Burton says he's deeply conflicted about the new "Star Trek" movie ... telling TMZ there's something missing from the flick ... something extremely important.

Burton -- who famously starred in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" from 1987 to 1994 -- says he's already seen J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness" TWO TIMES ... but that doesn't mean he approves.

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters ... but I'm pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.'s interpretation ... and at the end of the day, that's just not OK for me."

For all you non-Trekkies out there ... Gene created "Star Trek" back in the '60s and was heavily involved in the storytelling until his death in 1991.

So ... do you agree with LeVar?

haskel420

slave

KenB

WTF, I didn't make that comment here. Anyway Levar is right. JJ Abrams is a hack. It was a horrible movie and this Khan didn't even need to be in it as he didn't resemble the old one in any way.

Eric in L.A.

I understand what he means. Roddenberry gave his scripts a certain feeling of hope in people. But JJ is going more for action like in an old western cowboy movie. But I think there is room for both. I take JJ's Star Trek world as an alternate reality from Gene's.

Fred Farkel

Oh STFU. Life moves on. Captain Kirk is not married to Miramanee any longer...

Tarkus

Yep, he's right - I'm an avid Trekker since TOS, but one viewing of this latest movie was more than enough. Not even sure I'll buy the DVD when released. As Levar says, I just don't care - saw some great special effects but little else.

HRH Prince Michael

I'm not a fan of the franchise nor the Sci-Fi genre, still, the respect Mr. Burton has for the late Mr. Roddenberry is pure class.

By the way, lately a couple of TV series has been
deemed "The Best TV Show of All Time".
Get real: Unless it opens with the brilliant
Rod Sterling? NOT even close.

Italia

"...there's something missing from the flick ... something extremely important..."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, him (in his opinion).

billybob

Absolutely! Jar Jar Abrams is a bastard and utterly talentless hack. His 'Lost' style of writing is based on giving the audience every 40 min. a cliff hanger and then starting with something new. He & his gay Jewish boy friend Damon Lindelof are the worst film makers in Hollywood. They just doing it for money, no soul, no spirit.

With every movie Jar Jar f*cks you right in your a**

Italia

Holy cow! Lavar Burton is an old man!

IceGypsy

I have seen every Trek movie at the theater since the 1st movie. Saw this movie, enjoyed it while I was there, but honestly, it's forgettable.

Seriously was saying to my husband the other day, "Hey we should go see Trek before it's off theater"....then I realized "Oh no wait, we saw it"

The same holds true for the last one. Yet I remember all the others, and haven't seen some of them in years. Something is definitely missing.

Donka Do Ball

Yo name is TOBEY !

Nonsense

It's a friggin sci fi movie. Get over it.

Roman Moroni

statement makes no sense at all other than he's "wa-waaing" & wants pity; how bout we bring Capt Pike & Lt. Gary Mitchell back too??

Donka Do Ball

The moment they hired Whoopi Goldberg,
the whole franchise jumped the shark.

LAPartyMcSage

I think that what he's trying to say is that this is yet another dark new age remake portrait that makes a depressing mockery of retro pop culture. This stuff is supposed to be for kids, not millennial monsters.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments