Jim Carrey

RIPS His Flick

'Kick Ass 2' is Too Violent

6/23/2013 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0623-jim-carrey-getty
Jim Carrey
doesn't care if he torpedoes his new movie "Kick-Ass 2" ... he's speaking his mind ... bashing the film's extreme violence in the wake of last year's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Jim -- who plays Colonel Stars and Stripes -- tweeted his sentiments today, saying, "I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence.”

He added, "My apologies to others involved with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart.”

The film, due out in August, is a highly anticipated sequel. The first one grossed almost $100 million worldwide. Make no mistake, to have Carrey -- by far the movie's biggest star -- drop his support is a huge blow.

We reached out to Universal -- the studio behind the flick -- so far no word back.

mike

jim carrey seams to love to bite the hand that feeds him , i cant wait till it comes back to bite him! in the ass, that to me would be KICK ASS.

mike

Forker

he knows there is way too much glorification of violence in movies and hollywood could give a sh eets about it as long as they make money and no one close to them is affected by it .. hollywood is a whore !

Heather

**** Jim Carrey!!

Rex

He's a d bag - mentally challenged and really who cares?

Carol

if he is so appalled, he should donate his pay and future royalties to a Sandy Hook charity fund or something of this nature.

DTD

Not only did I not see Kick Ass 1, I never even heard of it. Was that a double negative?

Nio So-So

So before the tragedy the super-violence was okay and so was his check, but after Sandy Hook the super-violence was suddenly NOT Okay? Did he forget about Aurora? Did he forget about V-tech? Columbine? 9/11? That one time that kid got killed in the news? It was okay after those instances of violence but THIS was the line? GTFO, Jim. You're drunk off your own ego.

Matt

Yeah, good for you Jim Something, why don't you take your salary and all back end money and any money from promotional fees associated from this movie and donate them to sandy hook? If you do, I will donate 200k of my own money, but you also have to agree to never make another violet movie again. But, this attention starved and alleged women beater is just doing what ever it takes to get his name and movie out there to sell tickets.

Pat

If he feels so bad then maybe he should return his salary and all of the future residuals etc he stands to make. I think Jim is hilarious, and I'm sure he'll do the right thing and put his money where his mouth is!

Stupidposts

If he not like the violence in the movie then why he agree to do it in the first place? All this is doing is brining more attention to the film and himself than anything else.

MC GRUNT

Back in 1994 talking out of his ass was funny, but not so much in 2013.

bjay

What happened to this guy? He is turning into the worst kind of idiot. The Hollywood kind.

Andi

HYPOCRITE!!!! He agreed to do the movie and I'm sure he cashed the check and now he's offended? Right! Get over yourself! Your an ENTERTAINER; your political views are irrelevant!

Bob

Carey is a typical Liberal. He just didn't read the memo on this issue until after the movie was finished. I'm sure he's fine with domestic spying and and other Bush era policies these days as well.