Black Power Ranger

The Show Wasn't

ALWAYS Racist

8/10/2013 12:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

080913_walter_emanuel_jones_launch
The Pink Ranger was a ditzy white girl ... the Yellow Ranger was Asian ... the Black Ranger was black -- but the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" didn't start out quite SO racist ... so says one of its original stars.

Walter Jones -- a.k.a. the dancing Black Ranger -- was out in LA, when our photog (HUGE "PR" fan) had to ask about the pretty blatant stereotypes used on the show ... marketed towards kids.

Jones KNEW exactly what our guy was referencing, but tells TMZ, despite how racist the show ended up, it didn't start that way. He says the original Yellow Ranger was Latina, NOT Asian. Who knew?

But then Jones talks about the casting process for the Black Ranger -- and it starts to sound racist all over again. Example: Hip-Hop was a requirement.

Scary

In other words, no news going on right now. Check back later.

Hazardous424

Actually the yellow ranger, thuy thang, was Vietnamese. That would make her Asian.

alphatino48

Go go, power rangers! I was always a red ranger guy, buy black ranger walter jones was the sh!t!

Ozzie X

He is so cute you just want to grab him and pinch his two cheeks.

Gretchen

My oldest son LOVED that show. I thought it was stupid but my son never missed an episode. He was the red power ranger 3 years in a row for Halloween.

lourdgoogoo

I was always a pink power ranger kind of guy, because I was a teenager when the show came on. Even then, the stereo types were quite obvious, but I still wanted to bang the pink power ranger.

Meh..

They should have had a Brown Power Ranger, because the show was crap.

Rhubino

Does anyone even know what the term "racism" means anymore? A "ditsy" girl in pink is racist now??

JimmyB

Apparently the fact that the show ran 20 YEARS AGO is not part of the story.

Ozzie X

Been a while since I've seen the show if the Pink Ranger was the openly gay guy now than yes I would agree the show was stereotypical.

Smart

It's called cultural diversity.....not racism.
But you know...with the media EVERYTHING is about racism.

Snyderwife

I know after 20 years, memories get a little fuzzy...but as a child I loved the original cast of PR....and I'm pretty sure the original yellow ranger Trini was Asian...not Latina. Then she was replaced by a black woman whose character was named Aisha, and I believe that was at the same time that this guy who played Zack was replaced by a man, who I believe was Latino, whose character name was Adam....I'm just saying....

Snyderwife

One more thought...do we call the show sexist, since the pink ranger Kimberly, played by Amy Jo Johnson, was ALWAYS needing to be rescued by the green ranger Tommy, played by Jason David Frank? As a 9 year old child, racism never occurred to me, but the sexist story line did stick out quite a bit.

Justsay Nohan

Wait. Thuy Trang was Latina or just the person they may have cast before actual production? I'm pretty sure Thuy was Asian. Korean-American I think.

Sassychick92

Did no one see the mighty morphin power ranger movie?? I saw that when I was a kid and the yellow ranger was a black girl not a Latina or Asian. The black ranger was an Asian dude.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments