« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Sam

College Football Star Reveals

... I'M GAY

2/9/2014 5:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0209_michael-sam_getty

Missouri Tigers superstar Michael Sam -- one of the best college football players in the country -- has revealed he's gay ... and the timing comes just months before he will enter the NFL Draft.

Sam -- the SEC Defensive Player of the Year -- made the announcement publicly on Sunday  ... saying, "I am an openly, proud gay man."

If (and when) he's drafted, Sam will be the first openly gay man on an NFL roster in the history of the league.

"I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

24-year-old Sam said he already confided in a few friends ... and realized people knew while he was at the Senior Bowl. Sam says he dated another male athlete at Missouri, but not a member of the football team.

Sam says he finally came out to his teammates last year ... and they couldn't have been more supportive.

"I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sid

He was the last to know that everyone knew! Best of luck in the league. :)

Pavlov

Yawn.

nick

Yes he better announce it...he should not share the same locker room as the rest of the team....it's having a man in thefemale changing room

Dublin2016

So.....this is news....congratulations.......whatever....

CremeBrulee

Good for you! Seriously, football players act so gay I don't know why this is a big deal. Even though it is. The more homophobe athletes who retire, the more homophobe athletes and fans who die off, the more welcoming the NFL will be. Perform on the field, who gives a damn about your performance in your bedroom! Congrats.

KARMA K

I don't understand why people feel the need to Share their sexual preference's with us,T.M.I., Michael Sams!

DirkDiggler

Roger Goddell: No PeterPumpers in the NFL

Janielle37

Who cares

CoconutScrimp

I hope this news doesn't bring Chris Kluwe out from the rock he's under.

Or that black dude with the plucked eyebrows.

gegeok

So lol... Let's see if he gets drafted..

Sid

I always love that when dealing the chosen lifestyle of homosexuality the tmz staffers never have any funny lines in their report. They pretend to be a serious news organization. How about a "so we gotta ask". Top or bottom. Have some fun tmZ

Johndoethesecond

Football huh....Hes no "TIGHTEND" thats for sure!!!

MightyMatt

Good for you! I'm glad you didn't have to spend 50 years in the closet like I did! You'

choke

Oh look, bigoted retards all over the place on here!

Unbroken Chain

Good for him. I really hope this works out for him. There is no way there haven't been gay players before him and he is taking this risk for those that will come after him. This is a big deal and he should be commended. He is risking tens of millions of dollars

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments