David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

BT

Glad to see this liberal off the air. Jay Leno was replacxed by an Obama lover so I'm sure CBS (Communist Broadcast System) will replace this moron with another Obama A**hole.

smarty p.

I stopped watching after Letterman totally disrespected Bill O'Reilly on his show years ago. I'm not even a fan of O'Reilly. In fact, I think he's an arrogant knob too. Still, Letterman treated the guy like he was a piece of #@$@. It's interesting how liberals, like Letterman, automatically assume that anyone who has a different perspective than them is either stupid or evil or heartless, etc. At one point, Letterman turned to O'Reilly, who was trying to explain his position on something or other, and said, "I don't know what you're saying, but I know it's wrong." This would have been somewhat funny if Letterman was joking, but he was absolutely serious. In a nutshell, that quote explains Letterman's ignorance.

F M All

I never begrudge anyone making money. But no one deserves it less than this *******, arrogant prick. Good riddance ********.

ejohnson

About time! I thought he was in his late 70s.

ejohnson

It's about time.

pj

Boring ass it's about time

Jah36

This is about 10 years too late. Letterman hasn't been funny for a LONG time. He unfortunately chose to let his misguided political opinions get in the way of his "jokes", to the point that they just weren't funny anymore.

myopinion

He needs to...Every time he comes on I turn the channel.

Murphman

Take your butt buddy Prez Obummer with you!

Fit4Life

David letterman was decent in his day.. But c'mon hang it up!! He's 67 years old.. He needs to retire.. Like TONIGHT!!

Dave

His show was brilliant in the 80s and early 90s. Then he got bitter and hateful. It's a shame he went from hilarious to annoying.

Janice

Great to hear!!!!

CremeBrulee

Good move, Dave. You're a legend, but it's time. Go out on top! I always wondered what Johnny had against Dave.

ROGER

HAS'NT TOLD FUNNY JOKE IN 15 YEARS.
GO ALREADY WHY WAIT....

skittlesbreaker19

Whenever I see him on, I wonder who the hell watches him!! Totally boring !! Sham-wow infomercial is more entertaining!