David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

NWBL

I have always been with Cher about Letterman. I think he's an a$$hole. Sayonara.

Warren

Dave is looking old. He should had retired a few years ago.

Dead@27

Thank you Dave, for giving the world Larry "Bud" Melman!

Jean

It is about time . He should have retied before Jay. I have not watched him for years . I can't stand the way he interviews guests and he is just plan not funny to me. I wish Jay would take his place.

gitterdunnow

Must have gotten tired of playing second fiddle all those years to Jay Leno and now losing dramatically in the ratings to Fallon. But its one thing he did well as opposed to hosting awards shows. God forbid Conan steps into Letterman's spot.

RB12

Once he started using his show to promote his politics, I was all done with Dave.

SBTZMom

It is about time....he passed his prime long ago!

Charlotte

Good!

KicksandGiggles

Awesome Congrats Dave!! Enjoy your family and $$ while you still can!! And plus you make room for another person to have your opportunity - win win situation!!

richiec59

I love Dave. Yes he did tame down with age. But you can't deny he is the last of the the greats..cut from the same cloth of Johnny Carson. A true broadcaster not a former comedian. (Although Dave did do some stand up early in his career just to get in the business and a spot on the tonight show) he has edge isn't afraid to offend a guest unlike everyone else who kisses every guests ass. Especially Fallon. Even Kimmel would agree Letterman was his idol. My opinion I think the only logiu choice to replace Dave is Conan. Watch Dave clips from the early to mid 90s and watch what conan is doing now..very similar with remote bits and in businesses around his studio. Ironically Conan's contract with TBS expires in 2015 also...hmm was this planned? Conan deserves a second chance on a major network after the Leno/Tonight show debacle. He can destroy Fallon and has a huge following. The Tonight show now is nothing more the SNL with lame interviews. Hot now but people will get sick of it and Lorne Michales influences. Lets go team Coco!

coffeeaugur

its about time you greedy buster'd

ivan

should have groomed a replacement

BugsySiegel

Top 10 Reasons David Letterman is Retiring

10. My aging audience can not stay up past 11:30pm and certainly doesn't know how to work those DVR gizmos.

9. I promised that exactly 10 years to the day after my last good monologue I would retire.

8. Obamacare... I just phoned it in this long for the healthcare.

7. CBS will be paying out in stolen Bitcoins starting 2015.

6. Going to join OJ and hunt for the real killers.

5. My son told me that you are laughing at me...not with me.

4. I feel a network problem coming from the Christie administration.

3. The NSA are the only ones reading my Tweeter feed. #Top10UsedToBeFunny

2. Got to get in shape for lead role in next Batman movie.

1. Damnit, Leno already announced he's replacing me!

johnny