« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

UMass Basketball Player

I'M GAY

4/9/2014 7:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Derrick Gordon GayUMass basketball player Derrick Gordon has announced he's gay -- making him the first openly gay basketball player in Division 1 men's college basketball.

Gordon -- a sophomore starter for UMass -- made the announcement during an interview with ESPN.

"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," 22-year-old Gordon said ... "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak. I've been waiting and watching for the last few months, wondering when a Division I player would come out, and finally I just said, 'Why not me?'"

Gordon says he was inspired by Jason Collins -- who came out as the first openly gay NBA player last year.

"That was so important to me, knowing that sexuality didn't matter, that the NBA was OK with it," Gordon said.

A rep for the University issued a statement saying, "UMass is proud to have Derrick Gordon as a member of our athletic family and to honor his courage and openness as a gay student-athlete."

"UMass is committed to creating a welcoming climate where every student-athlete, coach and staff member can be true to themselves as they pursue their athletic, academic and professional goals."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Skins

Looks gay

andrewlala

He looks gay. Tmz staffers are loving this story

TheTryke

Interestingly all of these open athletes are all black. I wonder when Lil Wayne will finally follow in his brothers footsteps and come out

Pudding Tang

Only in UMass?

boo boo

That's cool. Just play basketball and be yourself.

pudge facker

He wants to put it in Uass.

mznicc

Why do gays feel the urge to have to "come out"? Straights don't come out.... If you want to be treated equally stop with your over the top, attention grabbing theatrics and just blend in with the rest of this effed up society... Stop trying to seek fame and get endorsements....this is getting old!

PG

Why should I care that he is his gay? Does anyone care that I am straight?

Beauty

Yay. I'm straight. Who cares.

TamDee

OMG WHO CARES!!!! Please don't go into a media frenzy over this and keep talking about him! Because seriously no one cares

Truth

HAIRSTYLE IS DEF. GAAAY... BRO, ANNOUNCEMENT NOT NEEDED. #TRUTH!!

YouDontSay

i'm not

TheTruth

He looks like he could give a decent hummer. LOL! Why the f*** should we care?

Nay

People say why even make the announcement? But remember that person that you know is gay as hell & they pretend to be straight & u just want to scream at them "Dude we know! " so i guess its just a relief to mankind to know who people are ****ing. Its stupid but its true. I hate when im around obvious gay men or woman or heard about there secret lives & they try to pretend to be straight. Just be yourself pretty soon people wont need to make annoucements anymore because everyone will just accept the fact thats its safer to mind your own business.

wolfhoundboxer