Stephen Colbert

Named David Letterman's Replacement

4/10/2014 9:04 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0410-stephen-colbert-01
Stephen Colbert
has been named as David Letterman's replacement, taking over as host of CBS' "Late Show."

Letterman announced just last week he was retiring in 2015. According to CBS, Colbert is being given a five-year deal.

In making the announcement, Colbert said, "Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career. I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead. I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Colbert was part of "The Daily Show" from 1997 until leaving to host "The Colbert Report." Colbert has hosted that show on Comedy Central since 2005.

041014_colbet_letterman_launch

John

This appears to be a poor choice. Considering that the competition is Kimmel and Fallon and the younger demographic is much sought after, Niel Patrick Harris and Chris Hardwick would have been better candidates.

keepinitrealincali

Nobody can replace Dave.

marbles

Sorry, just not a fan of his....

Dee

Will hate to see Letterman go but Colbert is a terrific choice.

Faye

I didn't watch Letterman. I can't imagine watching Colbert. Too bad CBS can't get someone who is actually funny.

Lindsay Hoehan

Jon Stewart would have been a better choice

Edddie Nash

The pool of choices was thin. Conan/Chelsea had no shot because they wanted to do the show in L.A. The NYC city council got butt hurt and was adamant the show stay in New York. Now you got this guy who looks like Neil Cavuto and is about as funny as Nick Cannon.

Joey

Ah sh*t! I will miss his gig on Comedy Central. No one else can pull off his hilarious character that he plays. Now he'll just be another run of the mill talk show host. Oh well, I bet Fallon is crapping in his pants at this news.

Joey

Comedy Central should give Colberts slot to John Olliver.

YouDontSay

WOW. I completely love Stephen. Please do let the network do to him what they have done to Jimmy. I will miss watching after the Daily Show though.

Mr Barcliff

I though Ellen would have been great, already has a HUGE following but, may be Dave's decision and he may have felt Colbert was the right decision. Not a bad decision but, Late Night is a funny business and I dont know if he will maintain the viewers Dave had or if he can compete with a Younger Jimmy Fallon. I know Ellen isnt younger than Jimmy Fallon either but, she has a happy spirit about her that I think would have drawn her viewers and new ones. I dont like talk shows nor late bight but, Ellen is funny and likable over all these men!!!! LGNM

andrewlala

I guess cbs wants to stay at the ratings bottom behind with both jimmys and arsenio.

Bossy Potato

I like Stephen Colbert, but I think kimmel would be a better choice. I feel like Colbert has such a focus on politics. Can he really go more mainstream?

Sandra

Terrible choice and will never watch after Dave leaves.

hugh anus

Ellen is a ****in stupid dancing dike..chelsea is repulsive and her humor lacks originality..its awkward at times..and just pathetic..both of these bitches suck balls..the guys..colbert by far is thee best..gutsy..funny ass **** intellect is ill..and border line racist a plus...****in idiots..