« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mark Cuban

APOLOGIZES TO TRAYVON MARTIN'S FAMILY

5/22/2014 2:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0522-cuban-treyvon-tmz-01
Mark Cuban has just issued an apology to the family of Trayvon Martin ... claiming he wasn't thinking to consider Martin's family when he mentioned a black person in a hoodie in a conversation about prejudice.

Cuban just tweeted, "In hindsight I should have used different examples.  I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that."

He added, "Beyond apologizing to the Martin family,  I stand by the words and substance of the interview."

Cuban is referring to the comments he made during an interview in Nashville where he said, "I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways. If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

nof

Mark is all that's left.

Want him to sell the Mavericks -

...Run for President.

Be his OWN Secretary-of-State.

Then I want the Lakers ... to amnesty Kobe...

cluesarethere

Next on the list to lose his team... It's only a matter of time.

ProudMexicanAmericanWoman

Hes right..

nof

If there was a God...

-And there IS.

Los Angeles could make a straight-up swap:

Jim Buss for Mark Cuban.

nof

As own of the Dallas Mavericks.

Mark Cuban has been running the Lakers.

Better than the Lakers.

"Cut everyone and start over..."

Tam

Unbelievable!! Mark was very noble in making that apology! There are still a lot of people who feel quite strongly about the Trayvon Martin case. This is because we are a very divided country. People do have prejudices about different races because they have not gotten to know people in that group or had a bad experience with people in that group. I have been called a "bi-racial bitch" in college by a white guy who was upset with something I said. Just as early as last year I was called a "******" by a white man, who was a parent in my sons baseball league during a heated discussion. My point is that I don't treat white people any different because of these horrible people. In fact I have a lot of friends who are white & they are some of the most amazing people I know. So with that said, you can have reservations about other cultures but it should never lead to violence or disrespect. We are all human!!

Steve

He should have to sell his team and he should be banned for life! The precedent has been set!

lucius

I see there are some real racist ppl up here and its sad. We come from one maker thats God. Things shouldn't be stated with out facts a black kid kill because some one think he doing sum thing wrong oh wow that's a reason to die but oh I forget he black so it is a ok reason for him to die be kill there are some sick ppl in the world I mean u got white kids killing classrooms full of kids babes but a black kid with a hoodie on catch ppl attention more in a situation whether u no the truth or not they got a man a white man lock up now for going around knock on ppl doors and killing them in Virginia and h ppl who were killed were music teachers school teachers so I guess they got shoot cause they open they door to right let me see the way it is no matter wat as black ppl do whether we right or wrong a racist gone thing the worst and oh Donald sterling well dam I guess that was cool to the stabbing at school by white kid so wat the other kids do wrong come to school to learn the point I make is u can make your own assumptioning but most of us no right from wrong but when skin color is involved u all just think with hate and no heart

Steve

Ban HIM for life and make HIM sell the team!

Brien

He's just saying what we all think and do. If you don't want to be viewed as a punk then stop dressing and acting as one.

bitterexfan

Hmm he actually thought about it and apologized for being and idiot unprompted . . . amazing! It was unprompted right, twitter wasn't calling for his head on stick, where they?

rsmik

If Trayvon Martin's family owns a trademark for blacks in hoodies, Cuban would have to pay up as well as apologize for using the term without permission. Otherwise, they need to stfu and move on with their lives just like everyone else does.

gprints

This apology is hollow. Cuban really feels this way about every Black man wearjng a hoodie. Let's be clear...HE IS NOT SORRY FOR WHAT HE SAID. HE IS SORRY IT MAY HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON DALLAS MAVS TICKET SALES!!!

Randy

Mark Cubain is not a racist, He is just human. avoid trouble beforehand and always be aware of your surroundings and if your uncomfortable change it. people need to get over pretending nothing scares them and that nobody will do them harm. I get away from shady characters before any trouble starts so i guess i am a raciest also, even tho i have neighbors who are mexican and have a wife that is Black, who carries pepper spray with her at all times. There should be no reason a person has a gun unless they plan to use it and thats the problem i think. you never know if the person coming towards you has a weapon they plan to use on you or another person.

mary collins finn

I don't think this required any apology. He didn't single out any particular skin color to illustrate his thought processes…"black kid in a hoodie"…."white guy with shaved head and tattoos." Too much PCness here!