« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Stephen A. Smith

SUSPENDED by ESPN

For Domestic Violence Remarks

7/29/2014 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0729-stephena-smith-tmz-02
ESPN is yanking Stephen A. Smith off the air -- suspending him for the inflammatory comments he made about women and domestic violence last week.

The network says Smith will not appear on his show "First Take" or on ESPN Radio until next Wednesday. During a discussion about Ray Rice's suspension, Stephen A. said he would tell women to make sure they're not doing anything "to provoke wrong actions" ... in addition to telling men what NOT to do.

This morning on "First Take" Smith apologized -- and ESPN released a statement, saying ... “We will continue to have constructive dialogue on this important topic. Stephen’s comments last Friday do not reflect our company’s point of view."

The network continued ... "As his apology demonstrates, he recognizes his mistakes and has a deeper appreciation of our company values.”

Smith's comments also infuriated fellow ESPN anchor Michelle Beadle. She's yet to react to his suspension.

072914_smith_apology_launch_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Callie

There are two types of men, the type that beat women no matter what the situation is. The second type is the man that no matter what they will not hit a women. There are two types of women, women that are truly victims of domestic violence so regardless of what they do, that 1st type of man will abuse them. The other type of women is the one Steven A is referring to…the one that will provoke the most mild mannered man to do something he vowed he would never do

nic.nice

Petition to ESPN: Bring Back Stephen A. Smith... click here to sign it: http://www.change.org/petitions/john-skipper-president-bring-back-stephen-a-smith AND PLEASE SHARE...

SaysWhatOthersWontSay

What a shame that WE in America can not flex our Constitutional right and voice out opinion on a show where you get paid to voice your opinion just because it angers the masses. With that said. If everyone kept their hands to themselves, no one would get hit. Women do not have the right to hit, push or put their hands in mens faces. When a man has told you they have had enough, they have had enough. If you dont think that violence is ever necessary then what do you do with your out of control children...kick their behind otherwise they'll be in jail, dead or kicking your butt later. I know what mans law says. But we all have a inate right to defend ourselves. It's called"fight or flight."

Steven Graham

It"s So Easy to say I"m sorry now ! Not to throw him under the bus, but he said what he said ! I wish him maturation through this process !

willie williams

I don't believe Stephen said anything wrong. I have been married before and I have been pushed, but never respond. I just walked away. When some women don't get what they want, they will provoke a reaction, wanting more attention. Most times they get the negative side of it. My father was very violent toward my mother. The ultimate choice was up to me to stay or go. I chose to go. Just a different perspective .

why bother

So if I understood right, Stephen Smith said and I'm just paraphrasing here is, don't push people to their limits, whatever that limit is, or else they may snap, so be weary of your own actions that lead a person to that eventual breaking point, especially when you could be the one getting hurt (physical, emotional, etc.).
Seems to make sense. Why would you want to piss off a person that can hurt you in any way especially when you're in a relationship with them.

matityahu soa

Wafflesmom is simply telling it like it IS!

Lesley Ann

Sorry, who is Stephen Smith? Who is he and what is his investment in domestic violence. Really scary people...a really good thing that victims dont have to listen to his ****...

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11