Anderson -- The Next Babwa With Cred

6/21/2006 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The landscape of TV news changed last night.

Anderson Cooper is now positioned to possibly become the dominant personality when it comes to the big "get." The importance of his interview with Angelina Joile cannot be overstated. She is probably the most sought after celebrity in the world. Rest assured, Barbara and Diane were salivating to get this one.

Angelina Jolie, Anderson Cooper

Yet it was Cooper who scored, and I can tell you he did not even seek Joile out -- she came to him. I'm told by unimpeachable sources that the reports that CNN paid for the interview are absolutely bogus. It was Angelina who wanted Anderson.

Cooper is already loved by his CNN bosses, but more significant is that he will now have a platform as a special correspondent on "60 Minutes." There's no doubt in my mind -- the execs at "60 Minutes" are going nuts today, knowing that Anderson can land the big ones.

In this business, success begets success. Anderson's hugely successful interview will become a calling card of sorts. Hey, if it's good enough for Angelina..... But maybe even more significant, I can see other stars and their reps seeking him out. He doesn't have the tabloid tinge that has permanently marked Barbara and Diane. He's smart, fair and sitting for an interview with him creates an air of respectability for the stars. He could easily become "60 Minutes'" secret weapon.

I really like Anderson. I know him casually, mostly from doing his show. From what I see, he's a genuinely nice, self-effacing, humble guy. He certainly doesn't cop the "I'm bigger than the people I interview" attitude. If he plays his cards right, Anderson could become the top dog in "gets," and I'm thinking that's gonna happen.

COMMENTS

Vonnie

And he's SO MUCH easier to look at and listen to than Babwa!! Of course, with Oprah in his corner, he can do no wrong!

Lance K.

It was a great interview. I really thought I was up on things going on around the world but I wasn't as much as I thought

...

I thought Anderson Cooper was a BABE the first time I ever saw him on TV (doing ABC News in the middle of the night!). He always had his shirtsleeves rolled up, looking very casual, cracking jokes with that curly-haired chic from MTV... can't remember her name. (Maybe Angelina was watching, too -- probably would have been during the Billy Bob days...)

Anyway, it wasn't until much later than I heard he was Gloria Vanderbilt's son and the tragedy of his brother's suicide which he recently talked about on Oprah. It's amazing he has a career (not like he needs the jing) and is as normal as does. My guess is that Anderson, coming from family money, is a philanthropist and Angelina sought him out for that reason.

In any event, Anderson didn't ask any truly probing questions during this interview -- this was Angelina's agenda, not his. To that end, as much as I love Anderson, I think a trained monkey could have been done as good, if not a better, job. I appreciate some of what Angelina stands for -- her UN work, the third-world adoptions, HER phianthropy -- but for God's sake, I am tired of seeing her and hate the fact that she's a do-gooder that toots her own horn just a tad too loudly. And as a married woman, I think what she and Brad Pitt did to Jennifer Aniston negate any "good" either of them purport to do for the "greater good." Even if Brad and Jen's marriage was on the rocks at the time they met, they treated her like dirt, really as if Jennifer didn't exist. Does philanthropy override that type of inhumanity?

Elaine Telles

Anderson Cooper has been duped just like the rest of the media. I believe she willl do anything for publicity? It is a great spin? You the media are falling all over yourselves to interview this brazen women. Remember the story the King had no clothes? This is the same story. You all are blind because of her supposed beauty. Wake up she is a fraud? You are all going to end up with egg on your face. I feel bad for Anderson Cooper because he was used. Jolie keeps showing up at political avenues uninvited and duping so many people nationally. It is embarrasing. Cooper stick to the real news you are above this.

Lance K.

Great interview. A bit too much repeating but I am glad that CNN did do something in honor of World Refugee Day

Lance K.

Kudos to Angelina for using her voice

We may not all have worldwide attention but we definitely all should be doing something in our corners of the world

Lance K.

Elaine, anyone can spout off criticism. Exactly what event did she show up at uninvited? Details please

Bev

Yuk, yuk

Bev

Rita:

You have a point there. Why do these stars need to go abroad to adopt kids when there are plenty right her in the USA that need taken care of. Oh, let me guess they want their name in the news...silly me.
Bev

Chandra

So much pretty on the screen, I thought my monitor would melt. I like them both and good for them speaking about the forgotten.

Lance K.

I do hope that people will take the time to read up and learn about Darfur. It is a human tragedy and we are all humans no matter where we were born

Merina

Anderson Cooper is hot. He's intelligent, compassionate, and he's got "It". Charisma. Why else would we tune in every night to see what he's up to. Angelina, same thing. She's a star, but complex. She gives 1/3 of her income to charity. How many of those other yayhoos put their money where their mouth is? They blab on about their "politics" and hoard every dime. When BillyBob threw Angelina away, she didn't cut and run on those orphans to save her marriage. She stuck with the kids. She's a Mom first. She loves the little darlings and would lay down on the railroad track for children.

Jill

Harrelson Confronts Levine: Camera One

PLEASE LEAVE WOODY ALONE!
I KNOW WOODY PERSONALLY AND THIS IS DIRTY!
YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER WAS HARRASSING HIM CALLING HIM SEXY AND EGGING HIM ON!
IT IS A SHAME YOU ARE SO DESPERATE TO MAKE A STORY YOU INCITE AND HARRASS PEOPLE. DON'T YOUR PHOTOGRAPHERS HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO!

JILL
TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA

get this off the internet asap
my lawyer seeing this would testify in woody's defense- it is definite harrassment!