Nicole Kidman Wasn't Married to Tom Cruise...

6/26/2006 7:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Kidmanat least according to the Catholic Church in Australia.

Many around the world were scratching their heads this past weekend, trying to figure out exactly how Kidman was able to get married as a Catholic in a Catholic ceremony, as the Church does not allow for a second marriage (in the Church) after a divorce. Many assumed that Kidman had gotten her marriage to Tom Cruise annulled, which would technically have paved the way for a second marriage in the Church.

Well, not so fast. Kidman's marriage to Cruise lasted 10 years -- a little long to plead temporary insanity -- and considering how notoriously difficult it is to have the Church grant an annulment (they're not handing them out like communion wafers), Kidman may have figured out how to get around the requirement -- she reportedly didn't need an annulment at all.

The BBC is reporting that Kidman's 10-year union to Cruise wasn't recognized by the Catholic Church of Australia. The service was seen only as a legal ceremony and not a spiritual one. In other words, according to the Catholic Church anyway, it never happened. All Kidman had to prove was that it was dissolved legally and she was free to marry any country crooner she wanted. A loophole to be sure, but one that allowed Kidman to reconnect her Catholic faith with Keith Urban, the man she loves.

Related photo galleries:
Nicole Kidman
Tom Cruise
Keith Urban
Kidman / Urban Wedding
Tom and Nicole

meme

The reason Tom divorced Nicole so quickly is probably one of two reasons (my speculation).

1. Nicole's father, being a psychologist, probably involves himself in coercing people to believe they are the victims of their impulses - an ideology directly contrary to Scientology teachings. Grandpa probably said something to the kids that infuriated Tom.

OR

2. Nicole cheated on Tom and when he found out, he said "it's over" to her, and "Nicole knows why" to the press.

She's probably done a lot of soul searching since then.

I hope it works out for her and Keith. But I wish the double standard in the media would end. It's really quite repuslive.

SinCerely

22. Pay that church enough money, and they will forget anything you want them to.

Posted at 10:24PM on Jun 26th 2006 by Lori 0 stars

That has to be the most bizzar comment I have see all day. Get over yourself.

Raymond V. Roh

The marriage law of the Catholic Church is quite simple. A Catholic is to be married ordinarily before a priest and two witnesses for the marriage to be recognized as valid by the Church. Nicole and Tom did not observe that, therefore the marriage was not valid as far as the Chjurch was concerned and she was free to marry in the Church. Of course, the covil requirements had to be met, which the Church would recognize as a matter of cooperation.

T

Almost correct--the Catholic Church DOES recognize other Christians married to other Christians in other Churches, BUT does NOT recognize the marriage of a Catholic married to another denomination Christian in a different church, unless special dispensation is arranged IN ADVANCE. Also, the Church will often marry a Catholic to a different denomination Christian within the Catholic Church IF the couple have attended the required pre-Cana marriage preparation classes and IF they agree to bring children up as Catholics.
Nicole's marriage to Tom would be considered "Lack of Form", as she, a Catholic, was married to him outside the Church without dispensation. Additionally, if his first marriage, to Mimi Rogers, was conducted in a Christian Church, then it would be considered "ligamen", because he would still be considered by the Church to be spiritually married to Ms. Rogers.
My husband and I went through all of this a few years ago in seeking to have our marriage blessed by the Church so that we could be Confirmed.
I say "PRAISE GOD" that this fallen-away child has returned, and I pray that she can save her children from Tom and his alien "morals". I also pray that Katie can get away from him and back to the Church!

Dawn b

It's called a "Defect of Form" when the Catholic church says your first marriage was not recognised by the church and therefore "doesn't count". A loophole. That and a $350 "donation" to the church and I wore white on my second wedding day, my 4 year old daughter was a flower girl. (hypocrisy)

Teri

I believe I read somewhere they divorced because they could not conceive a baby. Seems weird...Tom obviously was able, and now there are rumors (?) that Nicole "looks" pregnant??? I think the Scientology had a lot to do with it...but I thought it was also because they couldn't get pregnant, and that's why they ended up adopting. Someone correct me if I am wrong, which I very well may be. In any case, I love Keith Urban and I wish he and Nicole the very best. (I teach high school chorus, and the girls and I are always singing his songs! - He is very talented!)

Jean

And I am certainly against gay marriage. Again, read what God has to say about this.

cheryl k.

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH THE COMMENT THAT IF YOU ARE NOT CATHOLIC THAT YOU CAN'T BE MARRIED IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH , THATS NOT TRUE I WAS MARRIED IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH. I AM CATHOLIC BUT MY HUSBAND TO BE WAS NOT CATHOLIC, HE DID HOWEVER HAVE TO AGREE TO RAISE OUR CHILDREN CATHOLIC.

kaye

I was married in the Catholic Church by a Monsignor, no less. I am not catholic but my husband is. I had to produce a certific to prove I was baptized as an infant which I did. I was never confirmed nor did I have First Holy Communion.

ohmyjeepers

I hope it was because they couldn't get pregnant, because that would mean that the baby really isn't Tom's and Katie can get away from him with a clean break. She looks so miserable. The poor girl.
I am very happy for Nicole and Keith. They deserver a long happy life together.
As for Tom, I really hope Katie wakes up and leaves the man.
Tom and Brad need to be together. Neither make any sense.

Vall

Actually Kathleen, unless the marriage documents are filed with the local Catholic Archdiocese, it's not recognized even if it's done by another clergy. I am Catholic and married a Jewish man with only a Rabbi officiating, he is clergy, part of the Ecumenical Council but when I went to have my son baptized, I was told I did not have a valid marriage because these papers were never filed. I'm glad Nicole had this technical loop hole but married is married in my eyes. God saw it! I think in Nicoles case, God was glad to look away. Wait, I can hear God screaming, "Katie, Katie, run for your life!!!!!!"

gina

"I am so glad that Nicole got away from that cult-like religion. I am hoping that she can undo any harm done to her kids...if it isn't too late. We all know how domineering Tom Cruise is."

You means: "We all tabloids 'brainwashed sheeps know how domineering Tom Cruise is."

Because I, know Tom was slavering himself to his capricious, annoying, pretentious, spoiled, whining, carrerist she was/is.

Unbeleivable you're buying the crap of Elle magazine, feminist shit, and the vanity Fair interview or should I say "hagiography" conduct by her ... biographer.

Lame; she never care for her kids; Tom was raising them alone. he shooted a lot of movies while she was a workaholic.
But she lies again and again in the press telling she was a full time mom!
wtf does she think she is fooling?
Not me. I read my sources not VF or Marie Claire BS****
Like the ex nanny says: "I never saw her" in her book.

Congratulations to Tom for keeping his problems private. and not responding to her aggression while divorcing.
Se said: "I don't know why we divorced " in Cannes 2001. So he got to answers the harrassing journalists: "she knows why."

Period, he never said anything else. A ture gentleman (not for the feminist of course! hell no! how dare he divorce her! why? why doesn't he speak??? )

Kidman talk about her private life to extreme. it was disrespectful for Tom and the kids.
But we know now she doesn't care.
She never see them, exept when she married.

And nicole please, why don't you visit sick kids when you've got nothing to show the world? that is-a movie, a marriage???

BOTOX MEDIA WHORE.

mimi

Because Tom had been married before, his and Nicole's marriage was not sacred in the eyes of the Catholic Church. His first marriage (to Mimi Rogers) was "sacred" in the eyes of the church, therefore she didn't need an annulment to Tom Cruise because their marriage wasn't "technically" sacred in the eyes of the Catholic Church since he had been married before. No loopholes. Happened to me as well!

Moose O'Malley

I thought Nicole and Tom did conceive... right before the divorcing went on..... and that she miscarried.

Don't judge either of them. Tom's right, she knows why and he knows why they divorced. No one else's biz.

gina

Tom always put nicole first, in the limelight.
I've followed every Tom steps, in Cannes 92, In Venise for EWS, the Oscars etc...
We've seen the pictures, her on high heels all the times

Shame on her to spread lies like she was always behind him, and couldn't wear heels!

what a dork idiot! she should apologies. And thank him.
I never understand why he was so kind to her even after the divorce!
Now her carrer sucks; Tom gave her The Others, her biggest success at Box office, if not the only one, that Tom produce and gave her the role, she then capitalise on her failure and supposed "depression" after her break up with Tom to have an oscar; by a nose too
I loke the variety take on it; even eonline talk about how she stole J. MOore's oscar!
TOM ALWAYS PUT NICOLE FIRST IN THE LIGHT. HE QUITE GIVE HER A CARRER. IF IT WASNT FOR HIM SHE WOULD BE THE EQUAL OF NAOMI WATTS MAYBE

Take that missflower or something here

Tom was more catholic than any of his bad intentionned wives. Reflect a bit, cult christians followers, you're not better than the scientologists

All the same.