Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

James

“Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.”
Mahatma Ganhdi

Heather

Look the guy made a mistake, sure he shouldn't have been drinking and driving and shouldn't have said the things that he said but he WAS drunk here people, how many of you out there can say that you've never said anything bad or wrong when you was drinking. Sometimes that happends and if he wouldn't have been in the public eye it would have just been another drunk acting stupid so why can't we just treat it as that? If ya really think about it he's never really done anything bad. I mean there is sooo many other people out there in the public eye who has done wayyyy more worst things and still people love them so whats the big deal. He's doing the right thing by saying that he was wrong and putting out a statement on how sorry he was and he checked his self into re-hab. I still love ya Mel, get well buddy. Oh and everyone who is going on and on and calling him names, you are IDIOTS. Okay it says that we are not suppose to judge anyone!!

Art P.

Let's forget he's some famous person for a second.

He needs a sentence.

No excuse necessary.

John Paulsen

Whats all the hoopla about,This guy falls off the wagon and gets himself into some trouble,says some things,I doubt very much he meant,is humbled by his deeds and publicly apologizes to his family, the police and everybody else in the world and I believe his apology was sincere.Haven't we all been there at on time or another in our lives? Why do certain people and that includes most of the press have to kick this guy over and over again until he bleeds.Why don't all you jerks just give him a break.

stephanie C

People are just saying how they feel..Mel is the front guy for a point of view...One side or the other.....But really who gives a s---! He will pay a fine, and all will move on..Next time he may kill someone & then you can all chat again...

Art P.

Maybe Mel can start up a Anti-Semite campaign.

No one else wants him right now it seems.

How bout it Mel.

How much we looking at here?

S

Mel, I love you still. We all have made or will make mistakes. I have seen all of your movies and look forward to many others. You have apologized....life goes on.....Don;t let the little minds weigh you down! Next time drink at home:)

Trevor

From "A Baby Blog" at Babies Can't Read .com

August 2006
"King of the Boos"
I can hear the audience at the opening of his next movie, and they're not cheering. If I was cited for drunk driving, the only thing the cops would be gaping open-mouthed and amazed about would be how the hell I got the stroller to go that fast, or go at all for that matter. With any luck, for him and us, the whole thing was a publicity stunt. C'mon, he was drinking tequila! Was there a sunrise in the background too? Maybe what he really meant to say was that the Jews are responsible for the best pastrami on rye sandwiches on the Sunset Strip. In the end, what will the fall-out end up being anyway? Money talks and Braveheart walks. Had I been born 20 years ago, the newspaper headlines would be the same as now: "Beirut Erupts as Rockets Fall." Ten down on the crossword puzzle would have been, "What's a nine-letter word for Iran? - Hezbollah.
And nice mug shot! Looked like he just filled his pants. I ought to know.

April

All I have to say is this:

Alcohol is the 'truth serum'. So whatever he said that night, he meant. Not to say that he probably isnt sorry. I dont know what is going on inside that head of his. Personally speaking, I could care less. I mean, we have little kids dying or being orphaned in war torn countries, and AIDS attacking society, but here we are focusing on a drunken celebrity.

Its NOT that crucial, people.

Melanie

The jewish comments crossed the line, why would anyone still support such an ill informed moron? It's hard to believe that people that have seen The Passion would still follow someone that obviously has the wrong ideas of what faith is. If he followed the bible then he would know it isnt living simply if you buy a couple of houses worth millions and make comments about Jewish people. What a raging hypocrite.

Tom R.

From one with experience in recovery from alcoholism relapse of thirteen years, and at present time without one drink nine years.
Would like to say, Mel keep your head up.
Fighting your way back from relapse is like being in a boxing ring for a championship fight just because you got knocked down during the fight doesn't mean the fight is over. You just pick yourself up take the eight count and come back fighting, but in order to win you must surrender!
Will keep you in prayer
Tom From Philly

Tom R.

From one with experience in recovery from alcoholism relapse, of thirteen years, and at present time without one drink nine years.
Would like to say, Mel keep your head up.
Fighting your way back from relapse is like being in a boxing ring for a championship fight just because you got knocked down during the fight doesn't mean the fight is over. You just pick yourself up take the eight count and come back fighting, but in order to win you must surrender.
Will keep you in prayer
Tom From Philly

Mike Hedrick

Tequila???? I can handle mass quantitys of any liquor and be totally cool. But when I drink Tequila I turn into a maniac myself. My close friends can confirm that, I am capable of saying and doing anything after a few shots of Tequila. So I say Big F*****g Deal!!! He has a free pass as far as I am concerned. Get over it. Your still the man in my book Mel. I wish I could of been there partying with you.

kristen

I don't agree with anything Mel gibson said I really think He made and awful mistake. But I'm sure we all have done or said something we have regreted in our lives especally after a night of drinking. If he is going to try to better himself with treatment I think he deserve a second chance. I really don't think he is a bad man or a hateful person he just needs help. WE all deserve a second chance.
!ONE LUV!

Sonia V

Ok, after reading all those comments on Mel Gibson the question I ask is....... are any of us free of sin? who shall cast the
first stone?
The only mistake he made was to say it out loud.
Don't you ever wonder what other entertainers really feel about those issues but just don't say it out loud? Lets learn to forgive those..............