Bulletin: Gibson Enters Recovery Program

7/31/2006 5:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonStar Magazine has confirmed that Mel Gibson has begun a recovery program.

Gibson's rep, Alan Nierob, exclusively tells Star, "He is in a program of recovery at this time."

Chris Prentiss, a neighbor of Gibson's and the co-founder of celebrity treatment centre Passages in Malibu, Calif., tells Star: "I understand he has gone to a treatment centre. The center that I've heard he's checked himself into follows the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program. And I don't believe that will help him."

Prentiss -- who refused to name the rehab center he's heard Gibson is in -- adds: "He needs individual intense therapy by a team of people who know what they are looking for in causes in alcoholism."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Maria Frasca

This recent tirade of Mel's is bad enough but what he said on T.V. a while back ---I can't remember the program-really made me go ballistic. He said that unless the mass was in Latin "Transubstantiation" would not occur----how crazy is that? Boy he sure has a cock-eyed idea of what Jesus was about-- LOVE THY NEIGHBOR-I don't think so! Check this out.

Jack Kerouac

Nick C.--You oughta know Cassidy--the 12 Steps are your entry to 'The Road'. When they told me to hit the road back in '51, I took that advice at face value and skipped the Steps. Oh, woe is me! Now I can only watch from high above as fools like Gibson tiptoe blindly down the trail I blazed.

wise one

number 37 how do u know someone is a dry drunk when youve never met them. and what is a "dry drunk" anyway? thats just stupid aa speak

...

Well, he has to find SOMEWHERE to hide from all this bad press and HYPOCRISY...

Kevin Keckeisen

Well to quote Gomer Pyle: "Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!"

Did it:

a.) For image sake.

b.) For himself.

c.) Both.

mike

He's doing the right and responsible thing...

jon

Hey Mel STOP drinking, Stop beating your wife,
STOP molesting and abusing your kids,
and Stop blaming your father. Just a guess.

CharlotteBigWig

I'd party with him. rock on Mel!

get a life people

Jon do you live with Mel? I didn't think so....Why would you say he was beating his wife and abusing his kids.....Get a life!!!!!!!!!!

U Know Who

Poor guy doesn't know what to do with his success. Prosperity guilt.

Anti Semite much?

Wow I guess everyone who had venom for Mel on Friday ended up being 110% correct. This guy is total trash, complete scumbag. Nice way to talk to Sheriff Deputies their Mel. Resist arrest often?

ANYONE who defends this guys behavior is just as lame.

He's a loser, if it was YOU who did this stuff YOU'D STILL BE IN LA COUNTY JAIL.
And you could bet your sweet a$$ ALL CHARGES AVAILABLE would be pressed.

STOP defending this douche.

BlackMetal

Rhonda

Prentiss' comments sound like sour grapes - isn't his Passages where celebs go in and out and in and out..... Hope Mel comes out stronger and more compassionate to anyone who is not of his beliefs

sketchartist

Seeing as how the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program has successfully helped millions of alcoholics worldwide - for free - and Chris Prentiss runs a for-profit "celebrity treatment centre" I sincerely hope that he has not been advising Mr. Gibson.

Adrian Sanderson

I hope he will also enter 'Stupidity Rehab'; I have always disliked the man - now I know why! Just one look at his appearnce tells you a lot - not the smartest apple in the tree, to say the least.

But he is still smater then millions of other people, who protect him and pay good $$$ to see his silly films ['Braveheart' for example - I saw bits on TV and roared with laughter; and this got an Oscar! well, if 'Titanic' did....]

At least the man is finally exposed for what he really is: a biggot, just like his dad.

Thank you, TMZ, for publishing 0 you're the best!!

Ardian, London

LA Girl

AA works for millions. His neighbor is an idiot.
But on another note...aren't there wars going on in the world right now? Why do we care about another alcoholic celebrity?

jack monteith

I can't disagree enough with Chris Prentiss's comments about the 12 Step Progam not helping Mel Gibson.
After entering more rehabs then I want to mention, I found a program in New Hampshire that treated you utlizing the 12 Step approach. This approach helps you address and identify your past behaviors, traits and general ways of life that contributed to your alcoholism. Usually they all revolve around honesty....the alcholics inabililty to be honest with him/herself and others around them. Usually the reason for the alcoholic to seek relief in the bottle is to escape dealing with honesty.
I think that this is a positive step in the right direction for Mr. Gibson and I wish him the best of luck

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments