EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

Debra

Although it may seem like .12 B.A.L. may not seem sufficient for behavior, Mel has been struggling w/ alcoholism for many years. The progression of his disease may very well be in the stage where very little substance produces the same effects as large quantities. That being said, I hope he gets the help he needs while he still is able, otherwise he will be leaving all of his children and his longsuffering wife like many other addicts do...to bury him.

P.L.

If Mel had used the N-word instead, he'd never hear the end of it and he'd never get another job in Hollywood, either. But oh, when it's "just" anti-Semitic remarks, oh yeah, boo-hoo, give the poor guy another chance, my heart is bleeding, etc., etc., etc. I hope his career goes down the drain!

terry

EVERYONE IS PREJUDICE. EVERYONE IS BIASED. YOU CAN BE PREJUDICE FOR SOMETHING OR AGAINST SOMETHING. PREJUDICE MEANS :AN UNFAIR OR UNREASONALBE OPINION FORMED WITHOUT KNOWING THE FACTS. WHO AMONG US WAS THERE ON PCH FRIDAY MORNING DURING THE ARREST?????? IF YOU WEREN'T, THEN YOU JUST MADE AN OPINION WITHOUT KNOWING THE FACTS, BECAUSE ALL THE INFORMATION WE KNOW IS SECOND-HAND. LISTEN TO YOUR CONVERSATIONS TODAY, AND COUNT HOW MANY GROUPS YOU MAKE A RUDE, OR PREJUDICE COMENT ABOUT. WE ALL DO IT.

Helen

In my opinion, any ordinary individual would have been ticketed with a DUII the first two times (where Mr. Gibson was not). This would have made the last incident his third time getting a DUII.
I believe they take your drivers license away in the state of California @ 3 times & your out? SO - Yes, celebrities get away with murder in my eyes.

Tizalee

Whether alcoholism is a his problem or not- Mel Gibson was WRONG for getting in his car. People die and families suffer because of people like him. Listening to him whine about himself makes me sick. Great pics of him in the restaurant hours before hugging other women, I wonder what his wife thinks? Obviously the man needs help- but there's no excuse for his behavior- I feel sorry for the Deputy's, telling them to change the report goes against what they stand for-

stagger lee

does anyone care about his supposedly sexist comments? why is it that people are totally outraged about his anti-semitic comments but I can't even find a quote about whatever sexist crap he said - what is that telling people? it's OK to hate or to objectify women as long as you like jews? either was he's an a**hole for saying what he did but where is my apology?

Dan Martin

Mel is just another middleage alcoholic asshole that needs to clean up his act.

Joseph

I truly believe Mel is one of the persons that makes the world the way it is Today. He is Anti-Semitic and has no business blaming it on alcohol. If hes had such a problem with alcohol, why not go to Rehab? One day hes gonna kill someone and the the L.A. county Sheriffs Dept. will have to take action.
I think its terrible that because you are rich and famous you get away with anything, he should be charghed with resisting as well as drunk driving and in my state if you are caught 3 times you have to do 10yrs and or 10,000 fine, it should be stiffer here and everywhere no matter who you are.
I will not go to another Mel Gibson Movie nor will I ever watch any of them again, I am so very disappointed in him and the L.A. sheriffs dept.

Val

Jim And Sharon. Gibson IS one of the "things wrong in the world". His attitude is what causes war and hate.

Val

susan

Mel Gibson meant every word that he said drunk or not. He is an arrogant bigot. The Lost Hills Sheriffs Police Department has lost my respect for showing favoritism to Mel and trying to cover up the initial report . When will people wake up and stop using the Jews as scapegoats for all the problems in the world??
Anit-semitisim is Jew-Hatred and it is alive and well in Agoura Hills and Malibu.
I have personally reported it to the Lost Hills Station and been told it is just a juvenile problem, that AntiSemitism does not exist in AgouraHills because alot of Jews live there already.

Mascot

Tandy, you rock my world. Mr. Gibson could have spewed any number of foul comments; the garbage that came out of his mouth wasn't an accident. Some of the worst anti-Semites are those who deny being so.

Mona

I have to agree with "Compassion" and "Rosalind." Unless you walk on a same shoes for one mile, you cannot know what the other person is going through. To be a person like Mel Gibson; in the dept. of having to carry on the social and emotional responsibilities of such latitude, do you really think you could do better?
I don't know of anyone in this world that is Perfect. We are all souls learning, experiencing life in the best way we know how. Yes, we do fall from time to time. The important thing is that we pick up ourselves like a bouncing ball and keep on trying and use our mistakes to teach us to become a better person in the next time around. The virtue of Kindness and Compassion is something all of us should be more concerned about, not TMZ.com and its subjective view points with twists!

I certainly hope and wish that Mel Gibson would realize that there are a lot of people like me (or those of you who share my feelings) out there to support HIM not only because he is an incredible actor & a Producer but he is a Human Being who deserves forgiveness and compassion!

Thank you for reading my comments and may I wish many BLESSINGS of GOD be with all of YOU!

S Maxwell

Amazing story. Don't you think Mel Gibson looks freakishly like Saddam Hussein?

Ron

I think Mel was set up from somebody at this party who tip off the police or a certain police officer to make points. It's happen to me.

Colleen

As a person who lost someone I loved a year ago, who died do to the devistating disease call Alcoholism, I can only sympathize with Mel Gibson. The disease can control and destroy your life. Addiction is really is a horrible disease. I only hope he is able to get help and overcome it for him, and for those who love him.

Previous 15 Comments | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments